Customized Rifle

lungpuncher1

CBU93":hj8kz55l said:
Since this is my first and likely last foray into this, I am leaning toward a shaw barrel, chrome Molly matte finished factory barrel, fluted, and have them install on the action. Then dropping it in a bell and Carlson stock,black with gray spider webbing or gray with black spider webbing. Trigger upgrade and optics in due course...

Feedback?
McMillan has a sale right now for 25% off (Promo code Santa), or you can get a greyboe stock. Little bit better than bell and Carlson stocks...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

280longshot

CBU93":ajyi08m1 said:
Since this is my first and likely last foray into this, I am leaning toward a shaw barrel, chrome Molly matte finished factory barrel, fluted, and have them install on the action. Then dropping it in a bell and Carlson stock,black with gray spider webbing or gray with black spider webbing. Trigger upgrade and optics in due course...

Feedback?

If I was going to upgrade the barrel, stock and trigger I would opt for a better barrel like criterion, if cost isn't a concern.

lungpuncher1

I can't answer that fully but i can say criterion does seem to clean better and are easier to find loads for from my experience. Plus they're only about 100$ more.

jlanecr500

lungpuncher1":1b7c2bkt said:
I can't answer that fully but i can say criterion does seem to clean better and are easier to find loads for from my experience. Plus they're only about 100$ more.

I have a stainless ershaw barrel that shoots pretty well but for less than $100 more I can have a Criterion match grade barrel that has been hand lapped, doesn't foul as easily, cleans up easier, and I can pick my barrel contour and length.

I don't use the headspace gauges as they end up setting headspace loose so I don't miss getting them with the ershaw.

It really is worth it to get a Criterion

mr.big

just whatever you do ,,DO NOT send it to Sharp Shooter Supply ,,there are plenty of pre fit bbl makers for the Savage actions and all you need is head space gauges for the caliber you choose and a barrel vise,,I would give you my Savage action wrench to keep you from sending it to SSS where you might get it back and you might not,,

just google their customer service complaints,,

mr.big

CBU93":37lzur33 said:
Truing and timing an action...worth it or not on a hunting rig?

maybe get a PTG bolt head but I would not worry about truing a Savage action with the floating bolt head for a hunting rifle,,

Criterion,McGowen and X-Caliber all make good prefit bbls for the Savage actions,,a guy that shoot with us some has a couple Criterions that shoot really well,,ones a 308 and another a 6BR.

Hunter 257W

What exactly can you "Time" on a bolt action rifle? Is this talking about aligning the slot in the bottom of the bolt so that the striker doesn't drag on the sides when it fires? I usually associate Timing with car ignitions but know that it is also applicable to aligning a revolver cylinder to the barrel. Don't see how it can apply to a bolt action though unless we are talking the feature I described above.

mr.big

Hunter 257W":3safeytq said:
What exactly can you "Time" on a bolt action rifle? Is this talking about aligning the slot in the bottom of the bolt so that the striker doesn't drag on the sides when it fires? I usually associate Timing with car ignitions but know that it is also applicable to aligning a revolver cylinder to the barrel. Don't see how it can apply to a bolt action though unless we are talking the feature I described above.

go grab one of your bolt actions,,,make sure it isnt loaded,,pull the trigger to drop the firing pin,,when you chocolate chip cookie it if it is timed exactly right the trigger will pick up the firing pin before the bolt hits the extraction cam ,,then when you open the bolt and push it back forward the trigger should catch the firing pin just as you start to close the bolt,,

if all that isnt timed exactly right when you start to close the bolt you will have what they call " chocolate chip cookie on close" and you will be compressing the firing pin with the bolt handle when you close the bolt,,you should be able to close the bolt with very little pressure and it shouldnt push the firing pin back any further.

none of that will effect anything on a hunting rifle but it makes for a really rough running bench rifle and if its bad enough it will take enough pressure to close the bolt that it will twist the rifle out of the bags,,

it is kinda hard for me to explain but a rifle timed right is really smooth and when running the bolt it will feel like it doesnt have a firing pin spring in it,,

CBU93

So where we stand thus far...

-action, receiver, and mount being Cerakoted black as we speak
-ordered a 24", stainless Shilen Heavy Sporter in .30-06, 1-10 twist to deliver in a few days...12-16 week lead on the Criterion, Shilen was available off the shelf
-bead blast the barrel with the smith after it arrives
-Still leaning toward a B&C stock in light gray with black spider webbing

Will look into topping it with a nice scope in a month or two. Trigger upgrade will occur sometime this summer. Will swap bolt handle at some point too.

This has been a downright stressful process, but enjoying it. :super: :super: :super:

CBU93

markwondi":yis8w6vl said:
Shilen makes a good barrel, you should have a good shooter when it's done.

What bullet you plan to shoot in it?

Not sure yet, figured I would let it tell me. I don't hand load, so I am looking for premium factory loads in the 150 to 165 gr arena. Open to suggestions.

CBU93

Here she is

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,365

Latest posts