Current Presidents Island Conditions

ELL

What does the deer heard look like now? Is there still alot of good bucks on the island? The reason I'm asking is I seen the harvest from last year and there was just 5 bucks killed

lightfoot

2-Step Enabled
Another vote for Southaven MS, we stayed at the comfort suites two years ago, but we hunted the Ensley unit, Hey good luck to you fellows that got drawn, can't wait to go back.

woodswise

I have hunted the island twice and will be close to 70 before I get the chance again. Something I'll look forward to if I can still climb a tree. The first time I had no idea of the opportunity I was given. The island was a hunter's dream come true. I had bad luck with giant 13 point I shot right under my stand and lost in the egyptian wheat along the river on my first hunt. I spent the remaining two days looking for him and I will share what I learned. BIG GROUND! You must have a ATV to access a lot of the hunting (about 4 miles to the back) The scouting day is the day before you hunt BE PREPARED! Can get very muddy! Most will have talked to people that have experience with the ground and will be at the gate when it opens @ 4am to race to a spot where they will place a stand to claim a spot then take to finding plan B with a second stand. Deer and Deer sign will be everywhere! These deer are not hunted enough to develop the fear of hunting pressure and will make remarkable displays,giant scrapes and rubs and trails that will confuse you as to where is the "best" spot. Look for funnels and plan to sit all day! "Willothewisp" will wander during the day and might likely push the buck of a lifetime right by you. I witnessed extremely mature bucks checking scapes along the edge of open fields during mid-day. My second hunt I was better educated. I camped along with the officers that stay overnight at the gate one way in and out(Great Guys by the way)and hunted an area along the river I found on the first hunt. I saw bucks all day each day (monster 8 pts) and took an average 10pt in the last 3hrs of the last day. I know the floods have affected the herd but don't let that affect your attitude. I have deer hunted all over, have lots of trophy deer, all fair chase, with guides and without and now you have the best opportunity Tennessee offers. Good Luck!

Turkey J

10-4 I hunt the surrounding bottoms. Stick with it. Best dates I have are the week before pi hunt. And it is always on. 230 is when I got my best buck to date11/28/12.

cornbread

Question for my PI Education to be used in the future hopefully. Stand set? Can you set a stand during the scouting day or day of hunt and leave the stand for the duration of the hunt or do you have to remove the stand at the end of each day?

Latest posts