Cranking up the chainsaw time!

buckaroo

Going to start some habitat work making a clearing for apple trees. I look forward to this almost as much as the start of the season!

treefarmer

I created three 1/2 - 3/4 acre areas as you are doing. Survey the area first to see if you have any desireable trees to keep. I found three Persimmon, 4 wild apple and at least a dozen Dogwoods that I kept. Use herbicide on the cut stumps or you will create a lot of work in the future controlling sprouts. Arsenal works well for this. If you plant seedlings mark them well because weeds may grow head high each year and you will have a hard time seeing the seedlings next year. Use a pump up sprayer with roundup each year for a few years to kill undesireable hardwoods.

BSK

I would love to say I'm excited about this upcoming year's habitat work, but the acreage involved is so daunting that I dread it. Working a half acre with chainsaws is one thing, but TSI thinning 20+ acres is more than I can do with a chainsaw.

DaveB

Mr. Pogolrski lived way way back in the woods and heard from this BSK guy about TSI. So Mr. P goes to town and says he needs one of them there new fangled cuttin' saws. Salesman tells him with this one, you can't go wrong, clear an acre a day. 4 days later Mr. P is back in town, a little raggedy, tells the clerk he only cut down 3 trees in 4 days. Salesman tells him you gotta put your back in it, early to bed early to rise yada yadda and back into the deep woods goes Mr. P. 7 days later he drags himself out of the forest with the saw and enters the hardware store, prolly a lowes. Tells the salesman he worked near 24 hours a day for a week and only cut down 10 trees. Salesman says, "Give me that saw and pulls the cord, starts it up. Mr. P jumps back and screams out "WHATS THAT NOISE??!@!!??"

This picture jumped into my head when I read BSK's post. The joke works much much better when you tell it in person

BSK

Working on a acre of ground sounds easy. Heck, an acre is only 72 yards by 72 yards square. That's not much. Until you count how many trees can be in a 72 x 72 yard area! Now multiply that by as many acres as you want to "improve"...

buckaroo

Yes there are alot of trees in an acre, I've been working on my 40 for 10 yrs. and every year I have enough TSI to wear me out!!

buckaroo

It might pay to get a tree ID book and study. First I would learn my oaks and cut trash trees thats crowding them like hickory, beech , maple, ash, cedar, pine which serve very little to wildlife. You won't believe how trees take off when given more sunlight

diamond hunter

Well I have bought 3 seperate books and have even had a tree surgeon to my place for an all day visit and I paid him to help train me for tree identification.Im not bad at ide,its just that in the winter I cant do as much due to leaves being gone.(im good at leaves)Anyways,Id pay money for someone for a few hours to help me mark an area that needs thinning to let more sunlight in.

diamond hunter

Also,I really like to squirrel hunt and want to save some Beech and hickory trees and even some walnut trees.So really,Id cut sasafrass,ash,elm,cedar,ironwood,maple,sycammore,tree of heaven,cottonwood,some smaller beech and hickory.I just cant ID them with the leaves gone.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

buckaroo said:
It might pay to get a tree ID book and study. First I would learn my oaks and cut trash trees thats crowding them like hickory, beech , maple, ash, cedar, pine which serve very little to wildlife. You won't believe how trees take off when given more sunlight
very true.my habitat has completely changed since I started these improvements 3 years ago

treefarmer

I've had mixed success with Arsenal in the winter. I had pretty good success if I cut the stump close to the ground, poor success when I cut them waist high. Bigger stumps seemed to be easier to deaden than small ones. Summer/Fall is the best time to do this and Spring is the worst. The herbicide needs to get to the roots and rising sap prevents this.

Frank G

DaveB said:
Mr. Pogolrski lived way way back in the woods and heard from this BSK guy about TSI. So Mr. P goes to town and says he needs one of them there new fangled cuttin' saws. Salesman tells him with this one, you can't go wrong, clear an acre a day. 4 days later Mr. P is back in town, a little raggedy, tells the clerk he only cut down 3 trees in 4 days. Salesman tells him you gotta put your back in it, early to bed early to rise yada yadda and back into the deep woods goes Mr. P. 7 days later he drags himself out of the forest with the saw and enters the hardware store, prolly a lowes. Tells the salesman he worked near 24 hours a day for a week and only cut down 10 trees. Salesman says, "Give me that saw and pulls the cord, starts it up. Mr. P jumps back and screams out "WHATS THAT NOISE??!@!!??"

This picture jumped into my head when I read BSK's post. The joke works much much better when you tell it in person

That one has been around for a while DaveB. The only item you left out was that Mr. P is POLISH! It is OK for me to say that because I'm 100% Polish.

DaveB

Yep, I was trying to be polite. My co-worker is of Polish-German extraction and laughed till he cried, said his great uncle was probably the guy.

Frank G

DaveB said:
Yep, I was trying to be polite. My co-worker is of Polish-German extraction and laughed till he cried, said his great uncle was probably the guy.

At first I thought BSK knew my grand father (on mothers side) unless he was from MA originally, a long shot. :D Everyone drives Pols into the ground! Power co, telephone co etc.

Latest posts