Chainsaw recommendation

squackattack

I would recommend a larger saw(60cc or bigger) just because the longer bar means you don't have to bend over as much.

I recently purchased a holzforma saw. Can't say anything about it yet, but price was right. Also I know it is made in china and I am supporting the enemy.

WilcoKen

I use an Echo and it's been the best I've had. On a side note I had an old Stihl that was hard to start and ran awful but I burned off the carbon on the spark arrestor and it made a huge difference. I used a torch to burn off the carbon.

TNlandowner

I only made a quick walk through the hardwoods before pulling the trigger on this property. It was selective cut in 2010. From what I saw it's mostly Poplar. And yes I plan on doing mostly hacking squirt. But regardless of that I still need to buy a new chainsaw!
Poplar grows fast, especially after being released by a select cut. Take a few measurements each year and compare how fast these trees grow compared to oak & hickory trees.

Swampster

I have 3 Stihl chainsaws: MS 271, 310, and 391 and wouldn't run any other brand. The bigger displacement saws are great for felling and bucking but they're heavy and will wear you out faster if you're walking. Consider what type of saw work you'll be doing, how big are the trees you're working in, and how much walking is involved.

Whatever brand you decide, get chaps and wear'em.
I have a 391 I have used for years and have been very satisfied with it. I double endorse your chaps advice. And as someone who started way too late in life, always use hearing protection.

KubotaM4900

Stihl 261... It weighs 10.8lb and is 4hp. It looks to be the best weight with out sacrificing engine hp and has the compression release. It weighs less and has more power than the new or old farm boss that was always my pick.

DeerCamp

Stihl, Echo, Dolmar, Husqvarna all good saws

Narrow it down to those with a dealer close to you that stocks parts and can service

After that it's a matter of personal preference (including size, weight, power, balance/feel, and price)
I recommend saving the money and having Tx300mag come do it for you.

Latest posts