Recommendation for planting

ETNyates

Newly acquired land and I am looking for some recommendations on planting. We have hardwood bottoms and pine ridges with old logging roads running down two ridges. I would like to plant something fairly cheap and easy in the middle of those roads, probably a 15-20 foot wide by 200 yards long, for summer and then some radishes, rape, and turnips for fall. Would a good clover mix be my best bet for spring/summer or is something else better for that kind of planting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucket

I would wait to plant clover in the fall along with the others you mentioned. If you want to get something down in the spring I would recommend buckwheat to help build the soil some before then.

ETNyates

I thought buckwheat would wilt and die in our climate over the summer? I think it would be a great option other than that, and maybe I'm wrong.

Bucket

It has about a 60 day lifespan, and you will get a little new growth from the seed it creates. It would be tough to get much of a summer plot established on those ridge top plots. In my experience they just don't hold moisture.

chebuck

If your planning on traveling these roads. I would not plant radishes. It will till the ground and make is soft. Probably rut it up if you drove down them in the spring

ETNyates

Ok thanks, won't be traveling the road where the plots are planted on anything other than foot.

Latest posts