Chuck Swan

bigtex

I started hunting there in the late 60's. Was Central peninsula then. Back in those days the place was overrun with deer. You could see 15+ deer on every sit. but because they were so overpopulated the deer were tiny by todays standards. Climbing stands hadn't been invented then but it was legal to build permanent stands. Me and my hunting buddies would go up in the Summer to scout and build stands. They were finally outlawed after so many hunters fell out of the old rotting stands.
The archery hunts were non quota but the first two days were buck only. Compound bows weren't around then either, it was either recurve or long bow only.
I never killed a big buck there but it was a fun hunt and I always looked forward to going. Many great memories sitting around the campfire sipping on moonshine that would somehow show up.
TWRA started a trapping program to restock deer in the state and there were traps everywhere. Pi$$ed a lot of people off and I can remember seeing several traps turned over and one that had been burned lol.
My favorite area was Levi Evans Spring, second was Big Loop, third Forks of the river.
Most of my hunting buddies lost interest in bow hunting and the trips to "CP" became fewer and fewer over the years. I quit hunting Management areas entirely when I got a lease in Middle Tn. I had the lease for 20 something years and gave it up several years ago when I got tired of the hassle of the trespassers and poachers.
For old times sake I put in for the first archery hunt there a couple of years ago and was drawn for it. I drove up a month or so before the hunt to scout and was shocked and saddened to see what had become of the place. I'm not against logging and know that it can be very beneficial to wildlife but what they have done to Chuck Swan is akin to raping of the land. I was disgusted with what I saw. My favorite spot [Levi Evans] looks like it had been clear cut 20 years ago and was unrecognisable.
Since I had a tag I hunted it anyway. Spent the first night sleeping in my truck in "the line" was the third truck in line. They finally opened the gate and the race was on lol. I got to my spot and as I was gathering my gear two other trucks pulled in behind me and the occupants jumped out and literally ran into the woods. It was then that I remembered why I stopped hunting WMA's and found a lease. Anywho, I headed to my stand which I had put up the day before and was flashlighted the whole time. The so called "hunters" started coming out of their stands after two hours. I sat all day and saw a total of one doe. When the sun set I climbed down, took my stand off the tree, walked back to the truck, and came to the house.

saddlecricket

I salute any hunter that is willing to stay all day. I do the same I do not leave until the sun is set. I killed most of my bucks in the middle of the day! My hunt last year I passed on 8 small bucks "under 8 points" and had 1 monster that was chasing a doe could not get a shot but at least my scouting work I put in gave me a chance to take him. I started really working at it in 2005ish. When I started videoing and hanging cameras my success rate was much better. Before I did that I had killed several small bucks. I finally wanted something more from there so I decided to work hard to find them. The biggest thing I learned is not to be shy in hunting other areas. My family and others I talked with always said I have hunted this spot for over 20 years. Well not every year has a good buck in that spot. So me and my family fanned out to other areas. With my video camera in hand I started filming every buck I found. Then finally it payed off. I found a monster 10 point that would have scored in the 160s. There was 16 other bucks in the group and 8 of them had 8 points or more. So I focused really hard in the area. Me my mom, dad, and brother walked 5 to 6 miles of wood land learning how it laid out. By the time we had our hunt our game plan was set. I saw 4 small bucks and about 18 does. Dad saw a big 8 point and had not shot. Then at 2:45 my brother killed a wide rack 7 point then 5 minutes later mom killed a nice 8 point buck. I did not kill on the hunt. But hard work made it a hunt I will never forget.

Tiny

Somebody .mentioned Small Deer at CS..

Have to tell this one..
Me n a Friend always went on the non quota n normal got one of archery quota hunts..

While my self never actually saw on the hood the small Deer ..seen plenty that were smaller than other arears.. IE adults might hit 80 lbs on the hood compared to 120 plus elsewhere...

We always stop by the checking station to see what n how everybody had fared..

Truck pulls in drops the gate,pulls 2 out but there TAILS.. Takes both to scales ..both were adults 3yrs plus n both under 50lbs..

Guy said Game Warden Need to increase bag limits. to Rabbits so we can enough to stink the Pot up good.

Niether Deers nose hit the ground carrying at beltline.. So yes them story's are true on small ti y adult Deer there.

Also ..Seen plenty of the ol wooden traps around here n there.back then.. Reckon most have rotted by now..

This was all in the mid 80s .. I testing rumor there at time was Deer being brought in from Cades Cove n Oak Ridge before they opened it.. No ideal if true or not.. However I do suspect it was as almost overnight Larger Deer n yes even color were showing up regularly..

I am wondering if one possible on the Clear Cutting Rape if you want of it. Has anything to do with an Expanding Elk Heard across the Lake n Powell River in Campbell n Calbourne Hummm

A lot of the place that had been cutted looked more like grass lands than regrowth of trees .At least that I saw..any ways..

Heck May not get drawer may not get to go but thinks I will puts in for again...

Might get to hunt my ol spot without wall to wall again.. n maybe get the one the place owes me.. Blame sapling cost me a then Nuce Buck there Still have it as a trophy LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stykbow

Smallest deer I ever seen killed was on a CS early bow hunt. Spotted fawn that weighed a whopping 18 lbs. field dressed. Haven't hunted there in years, but I had fun camping with my dad and uncle. Deer or not those were fun hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiny

Well While I may not gets drawed.. Missed date last yr.. And with my Dad in the shape he is Health Wise.. May not gets to go ...However we did put in yesterday..
Oak Ridge n Chuck Sawn..We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WORM82

I put in for it, I havent been there in prob 6 or 7 years and that was my first time there. Hopefully I will draw and be able to find a spot away from the grogan's this time

encore06

Back in the mid 80's, I hunted CS quite a bit since the deer herd in ET was poor, at best. I shot a doe at 35 yards one morning that was all legs. She weighed a whopping 35lbs when I checked her in and she was no yearling.

DRSJ35

I got the October 4th and 5th archery hunt.I would have rather had gun but oh well.Also any pointers would be greatly appreciated.PM me

monjorrow

DRSJ35":3da5la2p said:
I got the October 4th and 5th archery hunt.I would have rather had gun but oh well.Also any pointers would be greatly appreciated.PM me
I got the same hunt. Not sure if I'll make it though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

saddlecricket

Typically it happens around Thanksgiving. He has now spaced out the hunts to avoid it so the muzzleloader hunt is not what it used to be. Still the muzzleloader is probably the best one to be on or the first rifle hunt.

Good time Charlie

We use to ride through there and count at least a 100 deer,about this time of year ..right before dark.
Should not be hard to locate a place to hunt down there if you put in a little time

WORM82

I wish I was closer and had the time to go in there and scout. I will prob end up driving down thurs night or fri morning and try to find a place with no vehicles around. I have been looking at some spots on topo and satellite images. With all the logging going on I wish I could find an up to date arial view

treefarmer

Chuck Swan is mostly owned by the Tennessee Division of Forestry, but has some in-holdings owned by TWRA. It is jointly managed by TWRA and the Division of Forestry. I'm on the Forestry Commission and haven't heard of any discussions to sell and would be surprised if they did. Timber is cut as needed to maintain a healthy forest. TN forests are generally too old so timber harvesting is the best thing for wildlife to bring back some food and cover. Clear cutting is frequently the best method of cutting, as mother nature will insure the next forest is a high quality one. Select cut or thinning hardwoods frequently results in a loss of oaks, and an increase in shade-tolerant trees such as maple, sweetgum, hickory, etc. Timber harvesting is usually a small-acreage cut, such as 20-30 acres. When we cut timber on our family Tree Farm a few years ago I specified the clear cut method for those reasons.

Latest posts