Chuck Swan archery 9/29 & 9/30

TheOG

Hey one of the quota hunts I drew was Chuck Swan Archery 9/29, 9/30. I've never been there. Any info on the check-in process, lodging, would be greatly appreciated. I'll be driving up from Chattanooga and any info that may allow me to save time or frustration would be super.

mike243

Bring a sleeping bag lol Tazewell on up the road has a couple small motels. the ckin station is set at the entrance so you wont miss it. it's a 10 mile ride or so back into the area from hwy33. pack a lunch no quick places to eat though there is a couple little stores on the ride in. good luck, I quit putting in when it stopped being a bonus deer

TheOG

Thanks! I really wasn't expecting to draw CS. I got my 1st choice and CS was my 7th. I didn't realize there weren't bonus deer till the draw results were posted. I'm mainly hunting it because I just want to hunt somewhere new to me.

encore06

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I loved hunting that place, esp on the early archery hunts. Deer typically run smaller in size. Hate to say this, but I shot a doe once at 45 yards that weighed less than 40lbs, dressed.

Bone_Chaser

I really wish they would implement some sort of antler restrictions. I call it the spike factory. Ive pretty well given up and not put in the last 2 years so something may have changed. I would see 10+ does each sit and occasionally yearling buck.

Chiflyguy

Hey one of the quota hunts I drew was Chuck Swan Archery 9/29, 9/30. I've never been there. Any info on the check-in process, lodging, would be greatly appreciated. I'll be driving up from Chattanooga and any info that may allow me to save time or frustration would be super.
If you stay in Tazewell, try the Tazewell Motor Lodge.
Looks a little outdated but it is one of the cleanest places I've stayed in.
Frostee Freeze got a good burger, bbq in Harrogate and so on.
There are also Cabins for rent on top of Clinch Mountain where the Veterans Overlook is as well as a restaurant.

C1295

If you stay in Tazewell, try the Tazewell Motor Lodge.
Looks a little outdated but it is one of the cleanest places I've stayed in.
Frostee Freeze got a good burger, bbq in Harrogate and so on.
There are also Cabins for rent on top of Clinch Mountain where the Veterans Overlook is as well as a restaurant.
I use to always stop at the forstee Freeze or go to the KFC and get the buffet.

killingtime 41

one thing I can't stand is they open the gate in the morning.lines of trucks a mile long all riding in at the same time. Dusty roads if no rain and you can't see nothing. And lock it up too early. My buddy shot a buck late afternoon archery probably 5 years ago but we only had short time to look for it and we're forced to leave. Rained that night and blood was gone no buck. Wardens will ride the roads making sure everyone is out by that time boom gate closed till morning.

East TN Bowhunter

Last year I hunted in the far back and had a long walk out to my truck and got locked out at the gate. I had to walk up to the wardens house and have him unlock the gate. He did it but was not very happy with me. Seems like they would leave it open at least another hour than what they do. I got down as soon as it was complete darkness because I had deer all around me that I did not want to spook and didn't screw around at all when getting down and got back to the truck asap and still didn't make it in time. It would suck if you had to go track a deer knowing you are going to get locked out and then get a warden upset with you. IDK just seems awfully quick to lock it.

TheOG

I've got a son doing the youth hunt on Oct 21. I'd be open to scouting with you when you come up if you'd like. @TheOG
Sure, we could do that. Full disclosure, I'm a pretty aggressive bow hunter (high risk/high reward). I try to get close to beds, and I get busted a lot. I plan to get pretty far away from where people usually go. I'll be looking for buck beds, near water and food sources that will be appropriate for the dates of my hunt. Your boy will be hunting later so some of the things I'll be looking for won't matter much to you.

volundeer

Sure, we could do that. Full disclosure, I'm a pretty aggressive bow hunter (high risk/high reward). I try to get close to beds, and I get busted a lot. I plan to get pretty far away from where people usually go. I'll be looking for buck beds, near water and food sources that will be appropriate for the dates of my hunt. Your boy will be hunting later so some of the things I'll be looking for won't matter much to you.
Sounds good with me and would love to do that with you. I'll send a PM

Latest posts