Chuck Swan advice

samh2921

Hey Y'all! Heading over for the October 1-2 Chuck Swan bow hunt. Gonna go out on the 17th to scout but was wondering if anyone had any tips on general areas? Likely only have one day for boots on the ground so just trying to map it out a bbefore. I'm using OnX and Basemaps but again just looking for advice on terrain that works in the area or general good parts of the WMA to scout.

I currently hunt Hawkins and Hancock countries so I imagine it's pretty similar but again I've never laid eyes on Chuck Swan.

Thanks!

Volbuck777

I'll send you a spot tomorrow, if I remember. Don't hunt their anymore but me and a buddy hunted that hunt 3 years ago and he killed 1 of only 3 bucks killed on that hunt. I seen a nice 8 while scouting but didn't get lucky. 2 of the 3 killed was on that same ridge I was hunting.

samh2921

I'll send you a spot tomorrow, if I remember. Don't hunt their anymore but me and a buddy hunted that hunt 3 years ago and he killed 1 of only 3 bucks killed on that hunt. I seen a nice 8 while scouting but didn't get lucky. 2 of the 3 killed was on that same ridge I was hunting.
That would be great! Thanks!

BubbaGoneWild

I will say I've hunted that early season hunt before very VERY tough hunt. Only 2 spikes killed last year all weekend. But I almost bagged a nice 8 point he wouldn't come closer than 50 yards. Good hunt though I had almost 30 deer out in the field in front of me that evening. I did a lot of riding and scouting in the summer months leading up. We go up there all the time. If you find a good spot be there really early because all those boys do and it's a line to the gate. First come first in line. Gates locked and opens exactly 1 hour before daylight.

BubbaGoneWild

If it gets tough and you don't see anything you like holler at me and I can tell you where I've seen some good ones this year. There was big 10, a 12 point and a 13 point in there last year. The 12 point got killed so the 10 and 13 are still alive unless poached. And they should be friggin Biggs this year. 150+

samh2921

If it gets tough and you don't see anything you like holler at me and I can tell you where I've seen some good ones this year. There was big 10, a 12 point and a 13 point in there last year. The 12 point got killed so the 10 and 13 are still alive unless poached. And they should be friggin Biggs this year. 150+
Will do! Thanks!

Volbuck777

Thank you so much!
Not saying it'll work but it might be worth looking into. It's a big hardwood ridge running into a thicket with deep hollows on both sides. I hunted thirty yards from the transition. By the way when I was there the ridges across both hollows were planted in corn. Good luck

jason2779

Hey Y'all! Heading over for the October 1-2 Chuck Swan bow hunt. Gonna go out on the 17th to scout but was wondering if anyone had any tips on general areas? Likely only have one day for boots on the ground so just trying to map it out a bbefore. I'm using OnX and Basemaps but again just looking for advice on terrain that works in the area or general good parts of the WMA to scout.

I currently hunt Hawkins and Hancock countries so I imagine it's pretty similar but again I've never laid eyes on Chuck Swan.

Thanks!
My take on the swan is they ruined it when they logged it to death! Used to be good but now not so good! Another government thing that benefits the hunter how?

BubbaGoneWild

My take on the swan is they ruined it when they logged it to death! Used to be good but now not so good! Another government thing that benefits the hunter how?
Well if they quit NOW it hasn't hurt anything I don't think. But they just keep on bouncing around everywhere in there. There's beginning to be a good herd in there. Now since it's not a bonus buck most people are waiting for bigger bucks. But some of those local boys still don't care and shoot anything

Chickencoop96

Well if they quit NOW it hasn't hurt anything I don't think. But they just keep on bouncing around everywhere in there. There's beginning to be a good herd in there. Now since it's not a bonus buck most people are waiting for bigger bucks. But some of those local boys still don't care and shoot anything
I thought some logging was good for deer herds?

Chickencoop96

It is. It has made some good bedding but too much and it starts taking away some food
that might be true, but i kinda feel like the real issue with Chuck Swan is possible over hunting plus them boys shooting the first thing they see. i grew up in Anderson county and a lot of the guys i know that hunted chuck swan have told me this. i could be going off of outdated info though so don't quote me

Chickencoop96

So, from my understanding, the logging actually helps create young growth forests. this creates a lot of food and habitat for species reliant on those younger woods, such as deer, turkey, grouse, etc. I mean just look at Cherokee NF both north and south have seen major declines in deer and grouse numbers due to the lack of logging and proper management. another interesting fact I learned this past year is if you put out salt blocks out you should put them on stumps or logs. there is apparently something in the soil that can cause the deer to contract CWD and EHD ( from what I heard and read) I personally can attest to seeing deer dig a hole in the dirt where salt blocks have dissolved into the soil

Pioneer1789

that might be true, but i kinda feel like the real issue with Chuck Swan is possible over hunting plus them boys shooting the first thing they see. i grew up in Anderson county and a lot of the guys i know that hunted chuck swan have told me this. i could be going off of outdated info though so don't quote me
I drew 2 tags there a couple years ago. They still shoot anything they see.

Chickencoop96

I drew 2 tags there a couple years ago. They still shoot anything they see.
What kills me is that property has potential to grow monsters, but a spike cant become a trophy buck on a grill. I have seen personally what letting the small bucks pass does to a property. I watched 3 bucks one year who where a spike and 2 four points grow into some awesome mature bucks a couple years later. it works and its proven. you wanna kill a beast? then let the young bucks become beasts. that's also the reason Catoosa requires the bucks up there to be of a certain score.