Chuck Swan advice

Hawk103161

How is killing a 4 pt bad for health of the herd? Not sure thats what antler restrictions are setup for. Reducing tags in the past has done more harm than good in my honest opinion for herd health as a whole. Can name many scenarios but once again I'll just keep the blue tongue conversation going. Whether I kill any buck that moves for the next ten years as long as I don't break the buck limit of 2 a year, it would be no different than if I kill an 8 or better for the next ten years. If everyone has that same thought of only taking 8 or betters most the time meaning 3 years and older bucks, then before you know it they'll be a massive die off. Reason being is it's easier to kill younger deer which keeps the numbers steady. With your opinion of antler restrictions that means more hunters if not historically you'll see nature take its course. I'm with you sir, if you knew me you'd know I'm all in for killing the older bucks, go under sevier co in our trophy room, you'll see I'm a believer in taking the most mature buck in the woods but I also believe that we need to have an equal median and harvest a set set amount of deer throughout each season also. That's what provides a great deer herd.
I was part of the First Bow Hunt at Big Ridge State Park back in the late 70's. As a teenager I saw first hand what lack of herd management does. On the hunt one deer in particular was a 6 year old doe.(aged by TWRA) that weighed 58 lbs. He dang near had her thrown over his shoulder. I think this started out as a question about CS hunting places. As I said before you are allowed to kill anything that is legal if you so choose. We drifted into the area of Improving the hunting there. Disease is Gods natural way of herd control. My Dad was one of the first people to harvest a Deer on CS way back when. I need to find that picture. It was a 3 pointer. He was so happy even when he told the story years later. The one thing that most will agree too is that it is a 100% fact that if a spike or a 4 is killed it will never ever be any bigger. You have the right to bust anything with anything over 3"

Volbuck777

I was part of the First Bow Hunt at Big Ridge State Park back in the late 70's. As a teenager I saw first hand what lack of herd management does. On the hunt one deer in particular was a 6 year old doe.(aged by TWRA) that weighed 58 lbs. He dang near had her thrown over his shoulder. I think this started out as a question about CS hunting places. As I said before you are allowed to kill anything that is legal if you so choose. We drifted into the area of Improving the hunting there. Disease is Gods natural way of herd control. My Dad was one of the first people to harvest a Deer on CS way back when. I need to find that picture. It was a 3 pointer. He was so happy even when he told the story years later. The one thing that most will agree too is that it is a 100% fact that if a spike or a 4 is killed it will never ever be any bigger. You have the right to bust anything with anything over 3"
Great post, sir.

Pioneer1789

CS was ground zero for whitetail reintroduction efforts for years. When the herd had healthy numbers, they'd capture some and release them in other parts of the state. A 6yo 57lb doe should NOT be the norm there.

Last edited:

cathunter

I hunted on those big ridge state park hunts. Never forget it. My dad took me over and dropped me off. Rose colored glasses song by John Conley I believe was the singer playing on the radio. Every time I hear that song I have instantly go back to the time and place.
I remember going to CS as a kid and drive around counting deer . Was nothing to see 100 deer in an evening. Good memories.

Latest posts