Chuck Swan

Seabee

I hunted yesterday and today. I had one deer blow at me walking in this morning and haven't seen anything. I've only heard a few shots. What happened to all the deer?

Board said 9 killed yesterday.

Union Co. Boy

Place hasn't been worth hunting in a while in my opinion. I'd go if it was a bonus buck, but then again, every place I ever hunted is logged out. I know there are folks that sing the new management's praises but trust me, that is NOT the local majority's feelings on the matter. Sure, there are a few pretty good deer killed normally, but very few. Especially with the amount of acreage available. It was a blast in the old days, just depressing when I've been since.

shopson

We chose not to sit in the tropical deluge Friday. Over an inch during the daylight hours. Not enjoyable hunting to me. Went this morning. First couple hours were nice even tho we didn't see a deer. Then the rain came again and then the wind. Stayed with it til 1230 and came to the house. I DO NOT enjoy hunting in the rain!

bigtex

Place hasn't been worth hunting in a while in my opinion. I'd go if it was a bonus buck, but then again, every place I ever hunted is logged out. I know there are folks that sing the new management's praises but trust me, that is NOT the local majority's feelings on the matter. Sure, there are a few pretty good deer killed normally, but very few. Especially with the amount of acreage available. It was a blast in the old days, just depressing when I've been since.
Yeah, The "Swan" has seen better days for sure.
I started hunting it in the late 60's early 70's when it was Central Peninsula. The place was crawling with deer. Although they were small it was always a fun hunt.
Then they started trapping deer to restock other Counties, then the [IMO] over harvesting of timber, the nail in the coffin was the die offs due to disease.

encore06

Yeah, The "Swan" has seen better days for sure.
I started hunting it in the late 60's early 70's when it was Central Peninsula. The place was crawling with deer. Although they were small it was always a fun hunt.
Then they started trapping deer to restock other Counties, then the [IMO] over harvesting of timber, the nail in the coffin was the die offs due to disease.
We used to ride over there in the mid-late 70's and it wouldn't be unusual to count 100+ deer in a few hours. I've killed a few with archery and m/l, but nothing huge. I did kill a doe with a bow at 40 yards that dressed 35lbs. No spots😊

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
The state is trying to get all the timber off they can before the 100 year lease is up in 2035 than tva gets it back and it will probably become the chucks swan village, full of million dollar homes and outsiders.

Does TVA often sell its property to private owners for development?

Harold Money jr

Younggun308,
Take a look at Tellico Village in Loudon and Monroe county.The land around the proposed tellico lake area was taken by imminent domain. Some farms were a few hundred acres, and only a few acres were actually flooded. There are hundreds of beautiful homes on this prime farm land that was owned by private citizens now sold off by TVA, and several TVA Execs live there now.

Last edited:

mike243

The EHD hit it hard in about 2007 or so, you couldn't drive 100y without smelling a dead deer. When they stopped the bonus deer and dropped the limit to 2 statewide i quit putting in for it, I consider myself a local . I see no down side to logging in the long term 2/10 years

41Magnum

Took 4 deer from there back in the day. I always enjoyed hunting there. Always saw a bunch of deer. Then they started cutting the world down as previous posts said. Got drawn there several years ago and it rained torrents actually only hunted about 4 hours total. Saw 3 does was it. The place could be ALOT better if the powers that be would do so. Maybe close it for a couple of years……🤔

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Younggun308,
Take a look at Tellico Village in Loudon counties. The land around the proposed tellico lake area was taken by imminent domain. Some farms were a few hundred acres, and only a few acres were actually flooded. There are hundreds of beautiful homes on this prime farm land now due to sell off by TVA, and several TVA Execs live there now.

Awhile back a post on here got me reading about that debacle. I have seen the industrial park that TVA planned, but I never knew they developed land for residential purposes, too.

Latest posts