Chuck Swan

DRSJ35

I know with EHD a few years ago hurt em bad.What's y'all honest opinion about the place.Those that been there of course.Is there any good bucks there.And how is the population.Cant kill any doe's again this year.I'm ok with that as long as theres a chance at a good buck.

huntncoach

No expert, but I've hunted there the past few years on archery hunt and have seen exactly two bucks - one spike this past year and one 4 pointer my buddy took two years ago. The spike was the only deer I saw this time.

saddlecricket

Chuckswan is a good place to hunt! There are plenty of large bucks there if you know where to look. This is just one of at least 20 plus bucks over 120 inches this buck would score in the upper 140s to low 150s.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536678476835.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536678476835.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,855

TreeTop

The problem with CS, if there is one, is when the scouting starts and the hunting starts, you have hundreds, if not thousands of people crashing the woods. Don't expect a pattern, anticipate where they may move to.

saddlecricket

I am doing deer survey work at chuckswan for the gamewarden. I have hunted there all my life and learned what to do to find them find early. I target mutlplie big bucks just in case my number one target gets killed. I have no problem finding where they setup their territory for the fall and winter. I learned most hunters up there are lazy and do not put in the work or just ride the roads hoping for a shot at one. There still a hand full of hunters that work at it but for the most part it's not an issue. Last year I had 30 bucks that had marked that where 120 or better. Here is one still alive I have been looking for him to film this year.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541085603701.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541085603701.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,775

TreeTop

Good for you saddlecricket, and I mean that, enjoy your time. Not everyone can spend their summers with unlimited access to CS ,with management approval and supervision. I remember when Phil Bledsoe, I believe, use to run the place. You didn't mention how many of those 120-130s you took last year?

saddlecricket

I do not have unlimited access I do this on my own. Yes Bledsoe used to run it then mike ran it for a few years. Now mc cubbins does. I did not take any I had my chance at the second buck I posted he was chasing a doe in a thicket and would not give me a shot. The first deer was killed before my hunt. Since I am only allowed 1 buck up there I went for the 10 point pictured. I did not hunt the other bucks I had marked they was smaller than him. I do not get a buck every year there but I give my self the best chance to take one.

TreeTop

I understand. Like I said enjoy your time there. Are the big Saw tooth oaks still in the fields on the left going down to lost creek?

saddlecricket

There is no telling the way they log off every tree. I will be checking that area in about 2 weeks. I am sectioning off one area at a time. I do know the big sawtooths on crumbley was cut down the others on the left of crumbley are still there. Once I get down in that area I will let you know.

DRSJ35

i put in for it this year hopefully i can get it.I dont mind putting in the work.Just havnt a clue as where to start over there.Not sure i will get picked.But any help would be great.Of course not where your bucks are.Just an idea of a good place to start.And any pointers on hunting the area in general.Thanks

saddlecricket

Well one tip when your driving around is to be patient. The deer up there have learned when they hear the gravel crunch from vehicles they run out of the field. Leaving only the younger deer out for you to see. That's why when you drive by the field most of the time the big boys have made their exit. So you think only small deer are in that area. If you park your vehicle and are willing to wait for 20 minutes or less they will wall back out again. Found many good deer that way. Dont be afraid to venture out and walk to the fields where driving is not permitted. If your quite on your approach you can catch them out in the more hard to access fields. Also there is several mixes of genetics. Most of the larger deer are up front body wise they have a shorter face but more blocky look. The Texas genetic shows up more in the back half. You tend to find the wider rack bucks in that area but slimmer body type.

Check the clover fields hard. Most are planted in a mix of oats and clover. Some pure stands of clover are there.
Check corn fields after they have been planted for a few weeks some if the weeds and grass is trying to come up that the deer eat. Look hard in middle to late August when the corn is ripening up.

Areas to check out peavy hollow, henagerbend, long hollow, big springs, back valley, forks of the river "mostly the front half of that area", or even mossy springs. Just a few zones I have found good deer to hunt. There are several others but that should help you find a good one.

Now this is just me but on my hunts up there I always pass on bucks that are smaller then eight point unless it's a weird rare antler look or an injured buck. Here is good example of letting one walk. I called him diamond head. He has been dead for around 6 years but I let him walk for 2 years and he made it to be a really nice buck. The last 2 pictures is him at 1.5 years old the last picture is him at 4. Huge jump just by not shooting smaller deer. But that's what I do not going to force people to pass on deer they want.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1562247333785.jpg
    FB_IMG_1562247333785.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,668
  • FB_IMG_1562247333785.jpg
    FB_IMG_1562247333785.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,664
  • FB_IMG_1562247409164.jpg
    FB_IMG_1562247409164.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,669

saddlecricket

I also have a group I started about 2 years ago called growing monster whitetail bucks on facebook I show people how to grow better bucks. I do video post on food plot health and why it's so important to have healthy ground for maxium antler size. I also post my scouting videos on there for good teaching tools. This includes my chuckswan survey work. I dont not give away location of any bucks I find but you can see the side of chuckswan you my never get to see.

DRSJ35

thanks for the info.I tried to get on your facebook site and it wouldnt let me in.

Tiny

I used to Hunt CS a whole lot n while never took one.. Did have chances ..Lost 1 I hit on a Jan Archery Hunt yrs ago..
Any way.. I dont believe the Numbers are there as they once were EHD or not.
Back till bout 01 from the 80s till always seen a good number going to n from hunting spots.. Since Zip Actually havent been as much since 01 bout every other yr to 2.. Havent seen zip Hunting n only a handful on the roads n a few taken..

I also know it was heavily clear cutted 2-3 yrs ago.. likely more since..

No ideal if I try again this yr or not .. However it's one of those I would go to.

While I believe overall numbers are down Quality appears up ..n with the cutovers should continue for a few yrs...

Good Pics btw 30 yrs ago you would be to see 1 like them..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

saddlecricket

You are somewhat right the logging is still on going. Way too much for my taste. the numbers are not what they was in the 70s or the 80s however they are getting better. The quality is up. I also believe from talks I had with the wardens a trophy system is going to be installed soon. Most likely something similar to cataoosa 4 points on one side or 15 inch spread. This is not set in stone but becoming more likely. The problem right now is the forestry department does not care one bit about how much logging they are doing. Rumor was once they are done stripping the woods they are wanting to sale the place. That's just a rumor that I have not addressed with them yet. Also when I do my drive around I average around 150 deer some days I break over 200 seen. That is not over the whole place but a pretty decent area. They estimated around 2000 deer was there before ehd. When it hit they estimated 1000 deer died. It will take about 3 years for that to recover. Before ehd i saw lots of good bucks.

Thank you for the pictures comment I have over ten years worth of pictures from there.

DRSJ35

ok i know you said rumor.But whats the chances they do sell it.Any chance the state would buy it.I would hate to see it gone to development.

saddlecricket

I heard twra is going to buy it if the rumor is true. The way I understand it is twra only leases chuckswan while the forestry department runs it. So technically the state already owns it.

Latest posts