Cheap Trail Cam recommendations??

DaveTN

I would appreciate some recommendations for cheap trail cams.

I have some varmint issues at my house in the city. (Skunk now, Ground Hog previously) I have security cameras on the house but when its dark they won't detect the animal. My wife has set the motion sensing flood lights for Dusk to Dawn. That seems to keep the skunk from entering that area, but I need it gone before my dog tangles with it. I'm just curious as to where its coming from and going to.

I know nothing about trail cameras, but I want one to see what's happening. The cheaper the better as long as it does the job.

All I need is a basic camera that will produce quality pictures or video. I don't need cellular or networked. I can walk my lazy azz out into the yard to retrieve a memory card and look at it on the PC. I don't need 4k. This won't be used for hunting and will be in a secure area where theft won't be an issue.

Once a target enters the field how long does a camera record? Can that time be set? I assume that may be different for different models??

DaveTN

Tasco $30 at Walmart I've had good luck with them I have one camera that easily has 100k or more pictures on it
Thanks.
Is the 720P of that video clear enough? It won't be much more than 50 feet from the target. How long does the video run? I'm trying to determine if its coming from somewhere in my yard, or through my fence.

cbhunter

Thanks.
Is the 720P of that video clear enough? It won't be much more than 50 feet from the target. How long does the video run? I'm trying to determine if its coming from somewhere in my yard, or through my fence.
You would be lucky if it picks up anything at 50' or more. Get creative and get it within 10-20' if possible

JCDEERMAN

I got a 4-pack of Muddy's for Christmas a couple years ago. They came from Rural King for $100. I've actually been very impressed with them. Even took them to CO on an elk hunt with me

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I got a 4-pack of Muddy's for Christmas a couple years ago. They came from Rural King for $100. I've actually been very impressed with them. Even took them to CO on an elk hunt with me
I bought 3 from Academy when they were on sale... IIRC, the 11 or 12MP versions.... Paid around $18 each for them, all 3 allowed rainwater to get into the control mechanism, ruining the cheap camera, but also the expensive lithium batteries. Oh well.

JCDEERMAN

I bought 3 from Academy when they were on sale... IIRC, the 11 or 12MP versions.... Paid around $18 each for them, all 3 allowed rainwater to get into the control mechanism, ruining the cheap camera, but also the expensive lithium batteries. Oh well.
Yeah all cheap cameras are hit or miss. I've been lucky with these and a wild game camera.

jlanecr500

I've had 4 of these watching my remote property for 3 years. 1 failed due to a woodpecker breaking the lens that allowed water in. I just bought 4 more a couple weeks ago.

Joe2Kool

I've had good luck with the 3-4 Muddy's I've bought. Got the first one a few years ago at a Tractor Supply. For only $25, I had to try it.

Based on this topic, I'll have to try the Wal Mart Tascos.

1smoothredneck

I have several Tasco cams from Walmart and they are solid. The only thing I don't like is there isn't a battery life indicator. Plus, this year they've gone up to $34.

I've switched to Muddy 14 mp cameras and like them a lot. $29 on sale at Academy and they are super cameras. Pictures are not quite as clear at the Tasco, but I like the user interface better & they show battery level each time you turn the cam on. I don't use video, so can't speak to that.

Now, if someone would clarify all the cell cam choices for me, that'd be awesome. LOl

Planking

For skunks i prefer a leg hold trap on a dirt hole set with light trigger tension. The last three ive caught in my yard were alreay dead by morning so they didn't spray. I prefer that over the dog proof or live trap for skunks.

For the groundhogs in my yard i use either the 220 or 160 conibear set tight in their hole entrance.

Latest posts