Caught a dog...what do I do

tntime

I'd say let him go. Hopefully the experience will deter it from returning. I have a neighbor who has 2 dogs that run my deer all the time. I have sent the sheriff over to her house 4 times. One of them ((pit bull) came at me on my property. I have offered her to help build a pen or buy chains and collars for them but it still happens. My next step is to take her to court but I feel terrible doing that because she struggles financially. Tennessee has a law that all dogs have to be in a leash or/and contained on your property.
Why those dogs are still alive is a mystery. It is illegal for dogs to run deer or trespass and "come at" you on your land. If she struggles financially, release her from the financial burden of being a pet owner. Every responsible dog owner knows how expensive it is to take proper care of that animal. I love dogs, but never once did I allow my pet to roam, ever.

Trapper

Caught a dog, in my cat trap. will let go, any advice other than a coat around its head. thanks
Thankfully when I went to check, he had already was gone, he made a heck of a mess (to the point my set can no longer be used or even the area), so it looks like he thrashed around for a long time and somehow escaped. I am new to trapping. thanks
Something doesn't make sense to me in your first post you said you caught a dog in your cat trap, then your last post you said it was gone when you got there to check . So my question is how do you know you caught one when you had not even checked it yet ?

Jcalder

I agree with GOHUNT. I have trappped for over 25 years and one thing I see in other states is the anti become members on these forums and gather stupid information like this that someone has posted and run with it as far as they can . Why would you go to a public form and ask what to do with a domestic dog and some of the other stuff you put on here . I know in the past few years that there is a handful of states that has band trapping with a leg hold or a body grip and those people have to use a cage if they can use anything at all . There is one going on right now in a western state where they are trying to get all public land illegal to trap on and a few that has already passed where you can't trap bobcats and coyotes . So just asking why do you post some of the stuff you do is it to feed the anti's ???????????????
He probably genuinely wanted to know. Maybe his intent was to get tips on how to release the dog from the trap without being bit. Same reason any other question gets asked here….
Something doesn't make sense to me in your first post you said you caught a dog in your cat trap, then your last post you said it was gone when you got there to check . So my question is how do you know you caught one when you had not even checked it yet ?
since you follow him so closely, you'd also know he has a camera on his set.

squirrel_hunter

Thankfully when I went to check, he had already was gone, he made a heck of a mess (to the point my set can no longer be used or even the area), so it looks like he thrashed around for a long time and somehow escaped. I am new to trapping. thanks
Why move the trap the eye appeal will draw other animals to the set. They will come in to check it out. All the scent it left and bait smell too. I have caught a cat and a dog in different sets. Next night catch grey fox where i caught the cat. And a coyote where i caught the dog. Every predator animal in the woods will eat a cat. And coyotes will kill ever dog it gets a chance too.
This set took 4 coyotes. I just kept putting it back the same way each time. I also carry a catch pole at all times.
20211231_092003.jpg

squirrel_hunter

By the time i caught my 4th coyote there. It was blown up big time. I just put it back like it was. When i make a dirt hole set. I always try to get the hole down deep as i can.