Caught a dog...what do I do

skipperbrown

The downside to trapping is your trap doesn't discriminate. Take him to the pound if you can safely remove him. If he breaks your skin, you're in for a rabies series unless you dispatch him and get a necropsy.

Speedwell-Hunter

The downside to trapping is your trap doesn't discriminate. Take him to the pound if you can safely remove him. If he breaks your skin, you're in for a rabies series unless you dispatch him and get a necropsy.
this is the plan, I am just going to let him go. poor pup. I will put a coat around his head and release.

Shanman

On non targets, just use a catch pole and release. If its a pet and has a collar, it will return home. If its aggressive, dirty, no collar and obviously wild...... different story. I had no idea so many wild dogs and cats were out there, they are. Rough, trashy type people like to dump their animals out on back roads rather than be responsible and take care of them.....burns me to the core! Sometimes it's adult dogs and sometimes it's pups, either way there is no excuse. If it is wild/abandoned and is friendly once released, find it a loving home, might just be your next best friend. As far as taking to the shelter.....uh....no. You as a trapper will be condemned and probably end up regretting going there. If you do go, tell them you found it on the side of the road, protect yourself first and foremost.

Carlos

I've caught several of them. I always carried 2 pieces of 2"x2" lumber, about 7ft long. They can be used to press down on each side of the trap jaws to release them.
They've always ran the other direction.
Good luck!!

wildlifefarmer

Caught a dog, in my cat trap. will let go, any advice other than a coat around its head. thanks
Most domestic dogs are use to some kind of leash. All that I've caught are glad to see you. Use a towel or your coat. Just wait until you catch one of these. Caught it today and then watched it fly away

Attachments

• DEE26722-3C49-4C1C-A5A1-2948BC6D6856.jpeg
    DEE26722-3C49-4C1C-A5A1-2948BC6D6856.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 285

Hridge

Caught a dog, in my cat trap. will let go, any advice other than a coat around its head. thanks
I'd say let him go. Hopefully the experience will deter it from returning. I have a neighbor who has 2 dogs that run my deer all the time. I have sent the sheriff over to her house 4 times. One of them ((pit bull) came at me on my property. I have offered her to help build a pen or buy chains and collars for them but it still happens. My next step is to take her to court but I feel terrible doing that because she struggles financially. Tennessee has a law that all dogs have to be in a leash or/and contained on your property.

Trapper

I agree with GOHUNT. I have trappped for over 25 years and one thing I see in other states is the anti become members on these forums and gather stupid information like this that someone has posted and run with it as far as they can . Why would you go to a public form and ask what to do with a domestic dog and some of the other stuff you put on here . I know in the past few years that there is a handful of states that has band trapping with a leg hold or a body grip and those people have to use a cage if they can use anything at all . There is one going on right now in a western state where they are trying to get all public land illegal to trap on and a few that has already passed where you can't trap bobcats and coyotes . So just asking why do you post some of the stuff you do is it to feed the anti's ???????????????

Latest posts