dogproofs and rain

JCDEERMAN

I have out 25 dogproofs and am wondering what you do in the rain.Currently I put a styrofoam cup over the top and it made my catches go way down. Thoughts?
I use the big cans from baked beans, or regular sized can with a slit on the top for widening. I use these because the wind can't blow them off. You have to cover it with something, or else it's wasted anyways from the rain 🤷‍♂️. Maybe put a dab of peanut butter on top of the can? I too have noticed a decline in catches when doing this, but what else is there? I've heard of people using a golf ball, but I don't see that keeping much rain out. Maybe mini-man condoms? 🤣

rem270

Put it in the ground at an angle if you're worried about rain getting in. I don't use any kind of cover. We're supposed to get a lot of rain this week. I'll just ride it out and hope for the best and rebait next weekend. But coons will still find the stuff attractive. I have sardines in all of mine so the rain don't affect it too much.

rem270

2c893773-c898-419f-8c6d-76b55ab20c5f.jpg
Here's a good example of why I usually don't cover mine. For some reason I had the bright idea to put the empty sardine can over my trap. I had seen where some said they were attracted to the shiny objects. This has been one of my best spots for coons. All this coon had to do was knock the can off and stick his foot in lol. Thought I'd share because this was just talked about and got this pic a few mins ago. I had actually forgot I put this on there because when I'm checking I can walk my ridge and look down from a distance to see if anything is in the traps.

deerfever

I do like above and position my trap at an angle, I use mini Marshmallows so it no big deal if it gets wet to just change it out. Usually they are still attracted to the melted minis! Lol, Marshmallow to me has been the easiest thing to deal with and works really well!

rem270

I do like above and position my trap at an angle, I use mini Marshmallows so it no big deal if it gets wet to just change it out. Usually they are still attracted to the melted minis! Lol, Marshmallow to me has been the easiest thing to deal with and works really well!
I use mini marshmallows as well. I dab some peanut butter around the rim and stick them to the top of it. I was using grape jelly for a little while but realized quick you get sticky when you go to reset so quit using it lol.