How does one properly set a Z trap dog proof?

Planking

I bought a bunch of these and im not impressed. Most of the time they are either tripped or the bait is gone. Ive tried setting the trigger light to the top, light to the bottom, light to the side and centered in the middle. They do catch occasionally but they aren't catching like the other brands i own. Am i setting them wrong or are they just not any good?

jeff gra

I bought a bunch of these and im not impressed. Most of the time they are either tripped or the bait is gone. Ive tried setting the trigger light to the top, light to the bottom, light to the side and centered in the middle. They do catch occasionally but they aren't catching like the other brands i own. Am i setting them wrong or are they just not any good
Try tamping the ground and pushing them all the way in past the round z symbol. This should help if there're pulling them up or pushing them over. I was having the same problem.

Planking

Im not sure what's going on. The bait was gone from all of the traps except for two and these traps aren't triggered. Two traps were triggered yesterday morning but no catches. All z traps. Its the same thing over and over.

Remington700

Im not sure what's going on. The bait was gone from all of the traps except for two and these traps aren't triggered. Two traps were triggered yesterday morning but no catches. All z traps. Its the same thing over and over.
Could be nice or birds cleaning them out. Put a golf ball on top.

JCDEERMAN

I don't have any Z traps, but with my duke traps, birds and mice are the culprits when the traps are empty. We set up cameras over them on video to see what was eating the food. It was mice 90% of the time. We've caught a handful of them and tweetie birds. I guess they are just very meticulous doing it.

Bone Collector

yeah it is mice and birds. however I have had less luck for whatever reason with the Z traps vs. the regular traps.

I think the reason (at least my reasoning) is that the regular dukes dog proofs are pull traps, but z traps are push/pull. I think when the coon reaches down there to get the last piece of bait and pulls up on the regular traps his paw is further in than if he trips it pushing down. I had a coon get trapped this year and I had a cell cam on the trap. he was rolling all over the place. I got in the truck to go dispatch him (I don't live on my land). By the time I got there he had pulled his foot out. I've caught 3 possums and a coon on the regulars and this would have been my first Z trap catch if he'd have stayed on.

Planking

yeah it is mice and birds. however I have had less luck for whatever reason with the Z traps vs. the regular traps.

I think the reason (at least my reasoning) is that the regular dukes dog proofs are pull traps, but z traps are push/pull. I think when the coon reaches down there to get the last piece of bait and pulls up on the regular traps his paw is further in than if he trips it pushing down. I had a coon get trapped this year and I had a cell cam on the trap. he was rolling all over the place. I got in the truck to go dispatch him (I don't live on my land). By the time I got there he had pulled his foot out. I've caught 3 possums and a coon on the regulars and this would have been my first Z trap catch if he'd have stayed on.
I agree with your reason and i haven't thought of that. I know something is not right because the Bridgers and Dukes i have catch much more often and im not doing anything any different.

Latest posts