catalpa worms

catman529

Craddock1 said:
About 20 years ago I was in Alabama and found a tree with catalpa worms on it. I cut off a small limb like finger size and wraped it in a wet rag. When I got home I put it in the ground and watered it regular. My tree is about 50 feet tall now. It did not have worms till it was about 4 years old.
that's pretty cool. I have seen a few big ones, they are interesting looking trees.

SilverFox

I had 6 full grown trees in SC. I would have worms almost every year... Until they started spraying cotton on the farm across from me. Great catfish bait... Along with about anything else that swims.

If you find the trees chances are there are small one growing near by. Dig them up and plant them where you want them. They are easy to grow.

Also, if you find worms you can put them on your trees and when they go in the ground, chances are next year the moth with lay on your trees and yo can have some.

Mike Belt

I know a guy over towards Shelby Forest that planted about 50 of them specifically for selling worms to bait shops. This was at least 10 years ago. Since then I think they've sold the land. I don't know how their project turned out.

catman529

checked a small group of trees today that had worms a couple years ago. Nothing yet, but it's a bit early.... will check again in a couple weeks.

Latest posts