Who uses wacky worms

catman529

Just started using them again a few weeks ago after not using one for at least several years. Currently I just have a few Powerbait worms in the junebug color. Had some success in ponds and creek too.

One such pond has a lot of weeds covering some of the surface, and I tried a topwater frog one afternoon with no luck. I figure evening or morning would have been better for the frog. But last time I was there I caught three and lost two on the wacky worm... I have to say it's one of my new favorite lures, just wondering who else here uses them much?

P1010401.jpg

4onaside

I don't even know what a "wacky worm" is! I thought that it was a method of fishing any small worm by sticking your hook thru the side of the worm amidships, and fishing it like you were fishing a night crawler. That is, just flip it out and let is sink, like you were bait fishing. We use 3" and 4" stick plastics like that. IMO it doesn't much matter how you hook the worm, because the fish usually hit it, more or less, as such as it hits the water.

catman529

4onaside said:
I don't even know what a "wacky worm" is! I thought that it was a method of fishing any small worm by sticking your hook thru the side of the worm amidships, and fishing it like you were fishing a night crawler. That is, just flip it out and let is sink, like you were bait fishing. We use 3" and 4" stick plastics like that. IMO it doesn't much matter how you hook the worm, because the fish usually hit it, more or less, as such as it hits the water.
yeah that's a wacky worm. I hook thru the middle and let it sink, reel it up to the surface, let it sink, repeat once or twice more and if nothing hits it while it's sinking, then cast somewhere else. I love the reaction strikes I get when it sinks. In one pond, the bluegills would not stop taking the worm but I could not get a hook set on any of them.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Fish them on drop shot when I fish a drop, which is not much. Fish them some in heavy stuff with a 1/8 ounce split shot. Like to throw them on top a lillypad and then slide it off and let it fall. hardly ever catch anything big but good for numbers.