patalpa worms

WTM

or whatever they are called. anyone ever see these trees around anymore? ive looked at somebod the placed along the river we used to pick up worms and the trees arent there anymore

WTM

Catalpa or Patlapa?

probably them. pawpaw called them patobby worms, lol. black and yellow worms that spit out brown crap when you pick them up. has a horn like a tomato worm.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I knew a guy up in Indiana that spent a week on the river once a year trout lining and jugging for catfish with a bunch of friends, and all he used was Catalpa worms. Each year he would collect hundreds and hundreds of them and bag them and put them in the freezer for the next year. They fought so many fish they would have several fish fry's throughout the year.

BuckWild

We had a catalba tree in our back yard growing up. Was always loaded with worms once the eggs hatched out.

We would freeze them in jars and use for fall catfishing.

Best bait ever. I hardly see them anymore.

There is a catalba tree right there where Birdsong Circle South comes into Birdsong road.

Never seen any worms on it.

bowhunterfanatic

We had 6-7 trees in my parents yard growing up but we rarely used the worms to fish. I haven't seen worms on them in years now but admittedly I haven't looked much either.

gtk

Staff member
my grandfather would coat them in flour and freeze them, it kept them from sticking together. Sometimes he would turn them "inside out" on the hook, he said it made the fish bite better.

Latest posts