catalpa worms

catman529

anyone used em? I tried em once a few years ago. Caught a small channel cat. I picked the caterpillars off a catalpa tree... they should come out mid to late June if I remember correctly. Maybe I will go find some this year and try them again. Hey it's free bait...

fishboy1

One of the best days I had on OH we were crappie jigging.
Came around a point and it smelled fishy.

Started slamming BIG shell crackers and blue gills. Even caught a nice small mouth on a crappie jig.

Whenever we drifted away from that side of the point, the bite would slow down or stop. We could see fish rising and hitting something on the surface. Motored back over and noticed some caterpillars on the surface....GULP>

They were falling out of a tree on the point, the wind/current was pulling them around the side and the fish were stacked up eating them.

It was a hoot!

Bone Collector

They are good for any fish. Catfish is what i have seen people se them for. the problem is first you have to find a catalpa tree. then you have to get permission (if necessary) to climb up into it, then you have to be lucky enough that there are some in it. not all trees have the worms, from what i've been told.

catman529

bowriter said:
They are a fantastic bait for just about any fish. You just don't see them much anymore.
In stores or in trees?

I know a couple trees in parks/along walking trails where I saw caterpillars in the past. I may be visiting them this summer.

Craddock1

I love them for catfish. I have a tree but it does not have catapillars every year. Last year it had them twice. When I have a good crop I freese them in snack bags dozen to the bag. They will revive when thawed.

FOX FIRE

Around here they call'em tobby worms (sounds like hobby not the name Toby), I've treis them but without much luck, others swear by'em.

bowriter

R.I.P.
catman529 said:
bowriter said:
They are a fantastic bait for just about any fish. You just don't see them much anymore.
In stores or in trees?

I know a couple trees in parks/along walking trails where I saw caterpillars in the past. I may be visiting them this summer.

Big difference between catalpa worms and catapillars. The worms are tough skinned and are green with black stripes. The are a worm, not a catapillar. Not all trees have them and they don't come every year. I haven't seen any in quite a while.

Bone Collector

I saw them a few years ago. BW is right they are a worm, but they do have caterpillar characteristics too. you have to be lucky to find a catalpa tree, there not very prevalent from my experience, but even if you find one then the worms will have to be there.

Mike Belt

Great catfish bait! You hope the fish are biting (especially if you're running throw/trotlines) because if not it's like pulling wet leather off the hooks.

JohnnyDollar

Not all of the trees have them, the easiest way to tell if there are any on the tree is when you drive by the tree, it will pretty full of leaves at the top and the lower limbs will be bare. It will remind you of a tomato plant after the cut worms have cleaned it of all the leaves. I picked about 75 worms a year ago and fished with them and had no luck. I've never really had any luck with them but I know people that swear by them.

catman529

bowriter said:
catman529 said:
bowriter said:
In stores or in trees?

Big difference between catalpa worms and catapillars. The worms are tough skinned and are green with black stripes. The are a worm, not a catapillar. Not all trees have them and they don't come every year. I haven't seen any in quite a while.
Is this not what you are referring to?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/4597

it's a type of hornworm aka sphinx moth.

catman529

Bone Collector said:
I saw them a few years ago. BW is right they are a worm, but they do have caterpillar characteristics too. you have to be lucky to find a catalpa tree, there not very prevalent from my experience, but even if you find one then the worms will have to be there.
"worm" is a pretty general term. It could refer to segmented worms, roundworms, wasp larvae, caterpillars, etc. Catalpa worms are caterpillars that pupate and emerge as a type of sphinx moth. Most sphinx moths have a horn on them when they are caterpillars which is why they are called hornworms. The carolina sphinx, aka tobacco hornworm, is the most common type of hornworm found on tomatoes, and anyone who grows them probably knows of the damage they can do. I used to catch and rear caterpillars and then either mount or release the adult specimens. I think the tobacco hornworm was the first one I raised.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Wull shuckey durn, I thunk them was whatchu call them thar playhelmethaticals or menatoads or somthin. But then of coarse, I wuz talkin in genel toims ruther than entomologiallerizin. it's kinda like refurrin to shicken breastes as poultitties.

catman529

bowriter said:
Wull shuckey durn, I thunk them was whatchu call them thar playhelmethaticals or menatoads or somthin. But then of coarse, I wuz talkin in genel toims ruther than entomologiallerizin. it's kinda like refurrin to shicken breastes as poultitties.
well I guess they are poultitties when you think of it :D

Craddock1

About 20 years ago I was in Alabama and found a tree with catalpa worms on it. I cut off a small limb like finger size and wraped it in a wet rag. When I got home I put it in the ground and watered it regular. My tree is about 50 feet tall now. It did not have worms till it was about 4 years old.