Catalpa Trees

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Growing up my grandpa always had one in his backyard. We would collect the worms in mason jars and fish with them. One winter it died and we had a few other trees that we could go get the worms from around the neighborhood. I recently bought a house and would like to plant a catalpa tree and I was wondering if anyone has done this or tried to grow one? Do the moths/worms eventually find the tree or how does it all work.

Hunter79

I have planted several trees for friends over the years.The female will get seed pods on them that look like long green beans wait till the fall when they turn brown and start to open then freeze them.In the spring get them out and put the individual seeds in cups to start like any other seed(note one pod will have slots seeds in it)after it sprouts plant in desired location.I usually wait 4 to 5 years before putting worms on them but yes if there is not another tobby worm tree around you will have to put worms usually ten or so will do the trick as they lay eggs in the bark of the tree and will reproduce themselves after that.

MickThompson

I've got 3 in the backyard I planted 5-6 years ago. Bought them as 1 year old bare root seedlings on fleabay. They've been eat up every year. I never planted any worms on them either. Just keep them pruned so you can reach the worms.

Grandslam11

I bought a pair for each of my FIL's to plant about 3 years ago. Last year was the first year the worms showed up but they were few and far between. I am really hoping the #s get better each year. The fish sure do love those things though.

Latest posts