Christmas Trees

jlmustain

Been collecting cut Christmas trees to throw out in a few spots. I've never done that before, and as I understand it, you just anchor them with a block and give it a toss. Is there more to it than that? Any tips about when and how to fish them?

scn

BARhunter said:
Might want to check with TWRA first. I think you have to receive approval from them in order to legally do it. I may be wrong but I would check first just to be sure.

It isn't a TWRA issue. To be legal, you would have to have a permit from TVA or the Corp depending on who has jurisdiction for that body of water.

wjohnson1983

Aside from the legal issues, it may be a waste of time depending on the body of water. I know folks that have done that before and after the first good storm/rain the trees are no where to be found. I assume it's the wave action and current.

stik

when you get the required permission, nail/wire several of them upright to a wooden skid and weigh the skid with blocks/rocks

Mtn Hunter

Are Christmas trees the best to use? Ive heard the acidity in them might be an issue for a period of time.

Winchester

If theres much current you will need to literally anchor them with a stake, unless you put a LOT of weight on them.

MickThompson

Stones River is USACE. If it is on the TN River or drains into it, it is under TVA. If it is on or drains into the Cumberland, then it is USACE, except Great Falls Lake. It is a TVA project.

Kimberman

We usually use a 5 gallon paint bucket and set the tree in concrete. They have stayed put for a long time for us. Last year we used artificial trees. That worked well last year, but I don't know how long they will last.

Crow Terminator

Evergreen trees usually don't last long, and are really too thick for fish to get into the limbs of. Usually what happens is the branches rot off and leave just the trunk of the tree...and if you sunk a bunch of them in one spot, you pretty much made a glorified stake bed. I've had better luck making those out of pallets and tobacco sticks.

On the Jim Duckworth video I had, he took long sections of flex plastic pipe, and a long piece of PVC pipe...and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and filled with quickcrete. When it was all said and done, it looked hideous and resembled a huge spider with long legs coming out of it and arching over but after you sank 3 or so of them in a spot, it made a huge brushpile that would last your life time. And up until Side Imaging came along on sonar, you couldn't pick them up on sonar. Now you can.

Latest posts