Sinking Christmas Trees in Small Ponds

Bucks & Beards

How many Christmas trees should one sink in a small (~1 acre) pond for cover? We drained the pond 2 years ago to do some work on the dam and noticed that it was completely void of cover. So last year I sunk 3 trees and 3 trees this year for a total of 6. Does anyone know of any "rule of thumb" in this regard?

Tree Tramp

Might try some hardwood tree tops too. The sink easy and provide excellent habitat. Stump balls, PVC trees, rock piles, gravel beds and stake beds are other good options. The more the merrier imo

ShaneHallum

I wouldn't go crazy and put so many that you get hung up all the time. But I would put several.

After Christmas, we have a drop section for old trees. They get put in the water at Rock Island every year.

stryker

We've only got about 5 or 6 in my father in laws but we are going to put 4 or 5 more in a few weeks. It gives the bait fish some where to hide so they can get a way to hopefully survive and reproduce. Good luck with yours.

outlaw78

Pvc works best in a 5 gallon bucket, the white grows the algie or how ever you spell it alot better but thr black painted pvc works good too, we just put out about 55 buckets at sardis and the reason we use pvc is because it dont show up on a depth finder and its hard to get hung up in

InfoMan

The problem with brush in farm ponds is that it allows bluegill to hide and over produce. Best to keep farm ponds clean and let the bass get to the bluegill. One of the biggest problems with farm ponds is keeping bluegill populations in check.

A

Anonymous

bamabrian1024 said:
Pvc works best in a 5 gallon bucket, the white grows the algie or how ever you spell it alot better but thr black painted pvc works good too, we just put out about 55 buckets at sardis and the reason we use pvc is because it dont show up on a depth finder and its hard to get hung up in

Shows up on Side Imaging though.....

Tree Tramp

InfoMan said:
The problem with brush in farm ponds is that it allows bluegill to hide and over produce. Best to keep farm ponds clean and let the bass get to the bluegill. One of the biggest problems with farm ponds is keeping bluegill populations in check.

I would think bluegill overpopulation is more of a management issue than a habitat issue. Lots of good info on pond management here.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

bowriter

R.I.P.
Info man is dead on. In the two lakes we had a lot of brush and standing timber, we had a heck of a time keeping the bream in check.

On the other hand, we were catching 2# bream.

bowriter

R.I.P.
In our best bream lake, (we had four)it was common to catch 100 like this a day during the bedding period. Our biggest 3-1.

Agoodpondbream.jpg

Latest posts