Small spinning reel question...

Tenntrapper

I'm looking for a small spinning real. The pfluger president #25 is the size I'm after. Was just at bass pro...looked at the president, a Mitchell 310, and a diawa 1000 something. All were in the 60-70 dollar price range. Guy working there said....diawa, Mitchell, pfluger...in that order, as for durability. Is this correct? Any other suggestions in that price range?
Thanks

Tenntrapper

I have been using pflueger for about 12 years now.
My reels get used quite a bit.
I have tried a few different ones from time to time but they never live up to the pflueger.
I will never buy anything else.

That's just me though. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Which pfluger are you using? The president? President XP (or xt)?

chimneyman

I've been using some Sougayilang (sp) lately. Cheap Amazon reels 20-25 dollars Only had them for 2-3 years but so far no problems and like them better than the Phleuger president I was using, Kast King also makes a good reel

fullstream

Been a pflueger president guy for many years. Used the 35's for redfish with great success. As I do a lot of brim & crappie now I've gotten a couple daiwa regal 2000's & 2500's. I like them a bit more than my pflueger 25's. My .02 cents worth

TN Larry

I have switched most of my spinning reels to Pflueger over the past few years and fish a lot. Most are Trions which are nice but have some Presidents too which are nicer.

Last edited:

redblood

I'm looking for a small spinning real. The pfluger president #25 is the size I'm after. Was just at bass pro...looked at the president, a Mitchell 310, and a diawa 1000 something. All were in the 60-70 dollar price range. Guy working there said....diawa, Mitchell, pfluger...in that order, as for durability. Is this correct? Any other suggestions in that price range?
Thanks
I have them all. Diawa regal is about 60 to 70 and top shelf. Down justa notch is shimano sedona. Down a other notch is lews, the fleuger, then quantum.
1000 and 2500 spinning reels

Lt.Dan

Thanks
I have a Pfluger. Never had a problem with it. I use it exclusively for regular fishing. Catfishing for big cats I use large trolling/ bait casting style reels.

Spurhunter

I've been using the small Pflueger President on my ultralight panfish rods for years. I can't imagine a reel being any smoother or having a better drag. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know why I could possibly need anything smoother.

Spurhunter

Kast King also makes a good reel
KastKing spinning reels are good for the money. That's what I have on my spider rigging rods and jig poles, but in those cases they are just line holders and a smooth drag is the only requirement. However, KastKing baitcasters suck. I have 2 and they leave a lot to be desired. One of them starting screaming like a banshee during its first use.

TNRifleman

Shimano for sure. The Sahara is a great reel and is comparable in price to the Pflueger you're looking at. The Pflueger is smooth but I never liked how the handle can loosen by holding the reel and turning the handle slightly backwards.

Latest posts