Bailess spinning reel

Iglow

How many have converted a reel to bailess? Back in the day Cardinals and Mitchells were good for converting. I converted a little mitchell avocet to bailess and love it. On the off side I weight the parts and put an equal amount of #8 lead shot in the empty area and covered/mixed it with clear silicone to keep the balance right. Now no more flipping bails,broke springs or none of that. Somebody told me it prevents line twist but I never noticed it before.

NAjoe

Got a buddy that does it to every spinning reel he gets. I've not, but have thought about it before.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Looking at pictures I guess you have to hook the line under the Hourglass piece on the reel each time? What is the benefit? Less weight?

Iglow

Looking at pictures I guess you have to hook the line under the Hourglass piece on the reel each time? What is the benefit? Less weight?
The roller part of the bail never moves(flips), the wire encircling part is taken off. You hook the line with your index finger and cast then hook it again and turn the handle rotating the roller to pick up the line, you cast one handed. Most new reel have instant anti reverse, you just flip the switch to free the reel, I back reel for drag mostly but if you want to use the drag just put your index finger on the back of the roller to hold it in place, nothing to it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2555.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2555.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 33

Iglow

Charlie Brewer went into detail about converting to bailess in his book about slider fishing,I first remember reading about it and then seeing reels guys had done back in the 70's. It's just easier, it really does good tightlineing jigs in crappie bushes, you hold the line on your finger so you can really feel the jig. It's not good for something that creates slack like a jerkbait but it's the ticket for fishing a jig or worm and crankbaits.

XCR-2

This is how I learned to throw a spinning reel. My grandpa didn't own a reel that had a bail on it. It's cut off for line twist preventing loops in the line. These days with better line and reels I don't see a need to cut them off, just turn the bail with your hand. Also when spooling a reel, make sure you reel the line off the spool counter clockwise.

Latest posts