Travel Rod/Reel Suggestions Please

rsimms

I'm making an overseas trip soon and I want to pack a fishing rod. I'm looking for a decent multi-piece travel spinning rod, probably 3 sections at least. It needs to pack in a standard suitcase - the length, broken down, needs to be less than 30 inches. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE? (and links to places to buy, if you know it?) Thanks! (pic for attention)
attention.jpg

redblood

I like the diawa spinmatic series for ultra lights. I have never tried their travel rods, but their 1 and 2 piece ultra lights are incredibly light and sensitive

TNReb

If you just need a 3 piece rod, I can help you out. If you need one that goes back together and works, I don't have any ideas. :)

Sounds fun. Where are you going?

Pilchard

This might not help you based on what is available in the area you are going... But whenever I travel to fish, where fishing is not the main reason for going, I pack only a reel or two. I go to a local place and buy a cheap rod and reel when I get there. I swap the reel out for my quality stuff to fish. When it is time to leave, I find a local kid and give them the cheap combo and a bit of tackle to get them started.

I have always been unimpressed with travel rods so if I am going to use a crappy rod, I figure it makes sense to support the local economy and make some kid's day.

For serious fishing travel, I always brought one-piece rods in large tubes and paid the oversized baggage fee.

Bone_Chaser

Not sure what is available there but each time we fly to the keys or somewhere I buy a decent saltwater fishing combo and leave the rod and bring the reel back. Usually you get a $10 rod and the rest in reel value anyway with those combos.

rsimms

FYI, I ended up buying this one, Okuma Voyager Spinning Freshwater Travel Kit, VS-605-20

I actually did go buy this Penn 3-piece (pictured) below from my friends at Jack's Bait & Tackle (in Chattanooga). However it turned out that it's still too large to fit in my suitcase. They'll take it back, but if anybody in Chattanooga wants it, I'll make you a good deal. It retails for $105. (See this web page) Message me.

travel_rod.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

redblood

Not sure what is available there but each time we fly to the keys or somewhere I buy a decent saltwater fishing combo and leave the rod and bring the reel back. Usually you get a $10 rod and the rest in reel value anyway with those combos.
Ive sone that with surf rods at the beach. Takenthe reel home and leave the cheap rod in the condo hallway with a free sign on it. Figured someone may want a cheap rod

mike243

I hit the Walmart and buy a combo about every time we go to the beach, they have a wider selection that I can lay hands on, I hate buying over the net, can't kick the tires and slam the doors lol

wildside

I'm making an overseas trip soon and I want to pack a fishing rod. I'm looking for a decent multi-piece travel spinning rod, probably 3 sections at least. It needs to pack in a standard suitcase - the length, broken down, needs to be less than 30 inches. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE? (and links to places to buy, if you know it?) Thanks! (pic for attention)
View attachment 217641.
I have several St. Croix travel rods. Love them. You are welcome to borrow them. Rarely use them

Latest posts