ideas / opinions on molding plastic worms

416wbymag

I have been thinking about buying some aluminum molds and making some large worms, frogs, and craws

Anybody think there is a potential for a small side business doing this? Seems like everything I read says you can save a little for your own fishing but there isn't much for profit...

Would love to hear what you guys think

nitro_z17

IMO, i don't think there is a potential for a small side business. the fishing lure and bait market is so big right now. spend more time fishing instead of making baits. unless you just like making your own. :tu:

nitro_z17

i use to mess with making lead heads years ago. tied flies when i fly fished. last year i used 2 swim baits out of a 6 pack of BPS speed shad that costs about $5. and i throw that bait on a swim jig what seems like a million times, its my favorite set up. little over $1 a year so........

SilverFox

I'd imagine it would have to be something different than everyone else makes to make any money. The homebrew market is flooded with people nowadays. I paint crankbaits but only for myself or a friend. I use to sell a few and do repaints for people but it's a headache. There's so many stencils out there anyone can paint a professional looking crankbait nowadays.

Check out some of the Facebook custom lure/bait pages and you'll see just how many small homebrew makers there are out there. I'm not saying don't do it, just don't want you to go in it not knowing just how many people do it. Of course you may already know this. I'd like to be able to pour my own and may do it one day.

416wbymag

SilverFox":3788ve6q said:
I'd imagine it would have to be something different than everyone else makes to make any money. The homebrew market is flooded with people nowadays. I paint crankbaits but only for myself or a friend. I use to sell a few and do repaints for people but it's a headache. There's so many stencils out there anyone can paint a professional looking crankbait nowadays.

Check out some of the Facebook custom lure/bait pages and you'll see just how many small homebrew makers there are out there. I'm not saying don't do it, just don't want you to go in it not knowing just how many people do it. Of course you may already know this. I'd like to be able to pour my own and may do it one day.

I have a buddy that builds custom crankbaits. Rob Cochran with Jawjacker lures. Everytime I visit I get the itch to get into something like that and then I think about all that's involved. From cutting the wood all the way through the paint booth and I don't feel so gung ho after that.

Latest posts