Yesterday on Priest

Madbowh

In a perfect world, it would be an automatic deportation. But then again, they'd just come right back because why not?

I've never really dug into the limitation that state wildlife LEOs have in regards to that. If they find a group of immigrants cast netting, let's just assume the GW speaks Spanish, and via the conversation he realizes they're all illegal, can he not arrest them right then and there and begin the process of deportation?
This is exactly where Texas is headed. They want to be able to deal with and charge the immigrants with anything they can accept being here illegally, once a illegal gets any charge against them they can be deported. I believe it's possible in Tn to do this today if Mr. Lee got involved, we already know his position on this(a plane full of them landed and he made them take back off). I think ice is where the issue is, someone else might have more insight there but I think ice is run federally and that's why it will end there and most throw there hands up.

DaveTN

In a perfect world, it would be an automatic deportation. But then again, they'd just come right back because why not?

I've never really dug into the limitation that state wildlife LEOs have in regards to that. If they find a group of immigrants cast netting, let's just assume the GW speaks Spanish, and via the conversation he realizes they're all illegal, can he not arrest them right then and there and begin the process of deportation?
No. Years ago (maybe 10?) the Tennessee courts said Tennessee LEO's couldn't enforce federal law. This came about after a carload of illegals had a crash in downtown Nashville and the cops couldn't hold them.

I remember reading a story that some THP Troopers had been trained by the feds and were allowed to enforce immigration law. I don't know where we are with that right now. I would assume if that still existed, this administration would have stopped it when they took office.

Latest posts