Case prep doesn’t have to suck

Omega

MUP":1fzlfzrr said:
Omega, did you make that adapter? I've been looking at the Lyman express case prep station and I've seen pics of a Lee trimmer mounted directly to one of the spindles on the Lyman wo an adapter.
No, I purchased off ebay or somewhere. Its an extremely easy piece though, should be nothing to make with a lathe.

Hunter 257W":1fzlfzrr said:
I'd like to get one of these machines some time just don't know which brand. I've always used the Forester hand cranked trimmer and am happy with it but like any hand cranked device, it's not fast. :) For making 22 CHeetah cases I've always used a hacksaw and file with the RCBS trim die to shorten the original Remington BenchRest Basic cases for the 1st trim while forming . That is not a high volume process for sure.

Another mechanized piece of reloading equipment that is on my bucket list is a case annealer.
Yea, I keep going back and forth on an annealer, but I don't anneal enough to automate. I just use a socket in a drill with a propane torch to do it now, it's fast enough for my needs at the moment.

vonb

Jcalder":3nlvt59q said:
vonb":3nlvt59q said:
Not doubting the Franford Arsenal model. I bought the Giraud years ago and haven't looked back. Best money spent to reduce the most time consuming task in reloading.
do you have to purchase the individual guides or do they come with the unit. I looked the unit up but wasn't sure what was included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to buy the shell holder for each caliber as it indexes off of the shoulder. Some shell holders work for family of cartridges (i.e. use a .243 holder for 7-08, .308, etc.). I buy the shell holder and cutter head for each cartridge. This gives me ability to move from caliber to caliber with simply removing and installing the various shellholders/cutters without adjusting. This can be done by using lock rings on the shellholder.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Omega":2mlt06l3 said:
When I had to convert more .277 WLV cases i looked at that one, and just didn't like the sideways bit, so went with the lyman case prep station, beat the heck out of doing it by hand like I did for my first 1k 300 BLK cases.
FoKkZ45.jpg
That's the one (lyman) im looking at for the same reason . Do you like it??

Omega

Yes, it is much better to have all those stations at the ready. The trimmer was the only missing piece, but adapters are easy to find or make if so equipped.

Tiny

Cool.. Nice to see some information on these.Have looked into after my Uncles Lyman Power Trimmer died on him after 30 yrs..gave him mine..n went to the EZ Trimmer..
Question on these above on trimming cases Are they adjustable or pre set to min length..??? Have a few RCBS X Dies have to go under min to start reason asking.

Agree with Infoman JR Case Prep Still Sucks. No matter how easier it gets.

Jcalder

Tiny":3a8e2tyi said:
Cool.. Nice to see some information on these.Have looked into after my Uncles Lyman Power Trimmer died on him after 30 yrs..gave him mine..n went to the EZ Trimmer..
Question on these above on trimming cases Are they adjustable or pre set to min length..??? Have a few RCBS X Dies have to go under min to start reason asking.

Agree with Infoman JR Case Prep Still Sucks. No matter how easier it gets.
the Frankfort Arsenal is adjustable. It adjusts based on the shoulder which I wasn't sure how well I'd like but it's pretty consistent as long as your sizing is consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tndave59

I picked up an RCBS Brass Boss on sale, well worth the money for a case prep outfit especially if your hands are starting to get a little arthritic! My hands don't hurt half as much anymore and brass prep is no longer a pain in the rumpus!!

brass magnet

MUP":2mhnbq1q said:
My Lyman Case Prep center came today, can't wait to wear it out. :)

If I'm still alive let me know when you do that, if you can remember then. Does that not lower your blood pressure, just sitting there piddlin, and getting that much done?

Latest posts