Browning vs. Remington

Rackseeker

This is more of spin off of BigWes50 topic about buying a .300 wsm. Then a brands war. I know theres alot of die hard Remington shooters on here, as well as Browning shooters.

I just wanted to hear what you liked and disliked about your remington or browning. First let me say I've owned quite a few of each brands and like different things about each.

I have to honestly say out of all the factory remingtons and brownings I've owned and shot over the years. As a whole the brownings fit, finish, and the way they shot was better than the remingtons.

Model70Man

I have a Browning A-bolt Micro. The thing that I hate about it is it's so Boring.....Boringly accurate and consistant each and every time I take it out. I never get any surprises with this rifle. It's a completely factory rifle with no additions or changes.

I have found that a lot of Remington owners have to or feel the need to make additions to their rifles for them to feel satisfied with their rifle. Then again, there is nothing wrong with customizing your rifle to your liking.

stik

when we were looking for my son's 7mm-08, we ended up buying a savage. compared side to side with the A-bolt browning, the wood to metal fit was much better and the bolt was much smoother and the savage was $200 less. browning is the ONLY brand of rifle i do not own and the only one they make that i would consider is the BAR.

Tiny

Browning A-bolt- 60 degree bolt throw,drop down hinge floor attached magazine,handleing and accuracy.Prefer the Stalkers to all others.Only dislike is the plam swell in the A-bolt 2 stalkers stocks.BTW They can keep that X-bolt from the photos I've seen in the '08 catalog.

Rem- The only one worth a hoot is the CDL-or CDL SF even then I still like the A-bolt a whole lot better.

BucknBass

Own both and like both. My first love is a Browning Stainless Stalker in .300WSM. She goes first whenever I hunt a new species. My newest love is a Rem 700 7MM STW. She killed an Antelope at 550 yards last August.

Kimberman

I have never seen a Browning that would not shoot well, most were exceptional. I cant really say that for a Remmy, although most will shoot OK, and if it doesn't they are the easiest to make shoot well.

PickettSFHunter

My Abolt will shoot .5 all day long, however, I have never been able to get any better than that. Pros- I love the fit, finish, and feel, I like the accuracy of Abolts. Cons-like I said I have never been able to get it any better than .5. Take a 700 though, they seem to me to be not as consistent shooters from rifle to rifle BUT when I find one like, it will be in the .2's or .3's and those are the only rifles I dont trade off or sell. Any 700 that wont under .3 gets traded for another one, I have went through about 6 others before getting the 3 Remmy's I have now that shoot so well.

firefox

I'm a large man and the Browning stocks are just too short. They shoot like a house afire...I just gotta duck to get inside. I like the Remington 700/7 more since I don't gotta worry about a scope cutting my brow when I shoot it. Both brands shoot about the same. The other thing I don't like about the Browning brand is that most Browning owners play golf and eat ham biscuits with grey poupon mustard! Tap Tap on the winder...pardon me, do you have any grey poupon :)

Tiny

firefox said:
The other thing I don't like about the Browning brand is that most Browning owners play golf and eat ham biscuits with grey poupon mustard! Tap Tap on the winder...pardon me, do you have any grey poupon :)

Don't play nor care for golf. I can take it or leave it on the grey poupon mustard,although it does go good on a sandwich with mircale whip,poor mans ham,american chesse on sliced white bread,washed down by pepsi ,mtn dew or coffee,on the tail gate of a chevey after a mornings hunt.Made even better with a deer or two on the meat pole by way of the Buckmark. ;) :grin:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Tiny said:
Browning A-bolt- 60 degree bolt throw,drop down hinge floor attached magazine,handleing and accuracy.Prefer the Stalkers to all others.Only dislike is the plam swell in the A-bolt 2 stalkers stocks.

What he said. Except I like the palm swell for some reason.

Only remingtons I have owned were a model 700 .243 and it was ok and then I had a sendero that I had to have worked on before I could shoot it.
Pretty accurate though.
Just prefer the feel and action of a Browning.

I Like Remingtons alot better than the Brownings. Just my preference. I have alot of Remingtons. My all time favorite gun/action is the Winchester Model 70 Classic(pre-64 action).
I like my Ruger, too. It is not a very smooth action, but it is a strong action and very accurate.

What I don't like about Brouwnings is the short bolt throw, and when the bolt is open, it has ALOT of slop. I had a Gold Medallion and sold it. It shot alright, but not nearly as accurate as my other brands.

Locksley

My BAR is a completely factory rifle with no additions or changes. It's in 7 MM Remington Magnum and it is a good rifle. My 700 Remington in 308 is good also accuracy it depends on the individual rifle.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
If you are going by autos then the BAR blows all of remmy's out of the water. Even the older BAR.

I got a belgium BAR made around '91 with a leupy 2.5x8x36. Gun is mint and I plan on shooting it till it wears out. With factory rem. core lokts I can shoot 3/4" to 1" all day long at 100. Note: that is factory. ;)

After that,a Savage :D

CZ284

I'm a die hard A bolt fan. I have one that has been rechambered from 7/08 to 284 Win. Restocked it in a McMillan. It shoots under .2 and has been my go to rifle for almost 15 years. Like others have said, boringly consistent. Even before the work I had done on it, it shot .5 out of the box. The rechambering was my preference since shooting big bore silhouettes YEARS ago with a remington XP100 pistol chambered in .284 Win.

However, we threw the factory Rem barel away and replaced it with a Shilen to get the accuracy we wanted.

Latest posts