BOYCOTT the TWRA

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Has any employee of the twra or a wildlife commissioner taken the time to join our conversation or answer questions? I've had good experiences with a commissioner or two. But commissioned officers or land managers have gone out of their way to be rude, arrogant asses to so many of my friends for no reason at all. That's the gospel truth. So anyone who thinks this is a bunch of drama with no background info to it, don't judge the guys on here speaking the truth. I don't think they'd be complaining if they thought twra was doing a good job.
A couple twra employees have but there is nothing they can do.

I have sent every commissioner two emails and only one has replied.
I doubt any of them know tndeer exists.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
My problem is with the Commission, not with TWRA's folks. The commissioners are the ones driving this, much as they did the buck limit reduction from 3 to 2 against the recommendation from TWRA's biologists. I'd almost bet that the folks actually within TWRA could come up with a less convoluted, better balanced plan than this proposal.

Granddaddy

Again, if you don't like the proposed changes being considered, email the commissioners. But don't do it just as a complaint. Offer alternates with good reasoning. And copy the governor on all your correspondence (afterall he'll always be concerned about votes). Mine may a majority view, but IMO TWC/TWRA should get out of the blind business altogether. They should be heavy into land acquisition & maintenance (meaning food & water) for wildlife attraction/enhancement. Referring to waterfowl areas, they should be opened to hunting to the fullest extent possible that balances between access & opportunity for success. That means limiting access to reasonable numbers of hunters (use draws or walks-ups or whatever provides equitable access), assigned zones with adequate buffers between zones that will allow quality hunting & limited days (probably 3 days/WK and mornings only) & some regular rotation of resting all zones. Let hunters decide how to hunt using their initiative, their equipment limited only if it disturbs others hunting & the waterfowl. Yes, these limitations work. I've hunted public & private land for 50+ yrs and where this combination of limitations are imposed (public or private) it promotes success. JMO but I'm expressing it to all the decision makers.

Southern Sportsman

Mine may [not] be a majority view, but IMO TWC/TWRA should get out of the blind business altogether. They should be heavy into land acquisition & maintenance (meaning food & water) for wildlife attraction/enhancement. Referring to waterfowl areas, they should be opened to hunting to the fullest extent possible that balances between access & opportunity for success. That means limiting access to reasonable numbers of hunters (use draws or walks-ups or whatever provides equitable access), assigned zones with adequate buffers between zones that will allow quality hunting & limited days (probably 3 days/WK and mornings only) & some regular rotation of resting all zones. Let hunters decide how to hunt using their initiative, their equipment limited only if it disturbs others hunting & the waterfowl.
I'd probably vote for that.

Monk74

Yes. Their duties are more wide ranging than, say, a police department. But my point is they don't make the rules, regulations, or policy decision.
They can most certainly control their attitude and their demeanor towards hunting citizens. For instance the tv show Lone Star Law. Those wardens use common sense and don't act like they're SEAL Team six when dealing with a minor offense. And anyone who believes the wildlife commission isn't taking in to heavy consideration the input of wildlife officers, just isn't looking at this situation objectively.

Monk74

My problem is with the Commission, not with TWRA's folks. The commissioners are the ones driving this, much as they did the buck limit reduction from 3 to 2 against the recommendation from TWRA's biologists. I'd almost bet that the folks actually within TWRA could come up with a less convoluted, better balanced plan than this proposal.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
. And anyone who believes the wildlife commission isn't taking in to heavy consideration the input of wildlife officers, just isn't looking at this situation objectively.
I had a conversation yesterday with someone who is basically over every single wildlife officer in the state of TN and he affirmed that NOT ONE SINGLE OFFICER was asked their opinion on this proposed change.

Monk74

Not being confrontational, just curious. What do you not like about a 2 buck limit?

Monk74

I had a conversation yesterday with someone who is basically over every single wildlife officer in the state of TN and he affirmed that NOT ONE SINGLE OFFICER was asked their opinion on this proposed change.
Well that's poor management PERIOD. To put rules into effect or propose (major rules changes)and not consult( NOT ONE SINGLE OFFICER) the men asked to enforce them isn't leadership. Sounds more like an autocracy or dictatorship within this government agency.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well that's poor management PERIOD. To put rules into effect or propose (major rules changes)and not consult( NOT ONE SINGLE OFFICER) the men asked to enforce them isn't leadership. Sounds more like an autocracy or dictatorship within this government agency.
That's the PG version of what he said yesterday.

Headhunter

Doesn't the twra plant food for wildlife on Corp land?
No they do not. They contract out planting, but as far as I know the TWRA itself does nothing. In my lifetime all I have ever know is that they lease out the land to farmers.

This is what I am saying, they set seasons and bag limits, enforce the laws (I fully support the game wardens, they are under paid and under staffed in my opinion and I have also been told the law enforcement part of the TWRA basically has ZERO input into any decisions) but the TWRA does absolutely nothing for land management, wildlife management, conservation, etc. for the animals and the hunters.

They do provide some dove fields, and much of that has went away, but go to any management area and see what, if anything they actually do. Go ahead, educate me.

I know they have contracted out timbering on Catoosa, which I think is awesome and huge help to hunting and animals, and there are some who are against that, but I think it is great.

Anyone know if they are doing anything about wild hogs?

And they say they don't have the money to do basically anything, they don't even pay farmers to farm the land to help provide additional food, and now they are going to build and maintain duck blinds and the game wardens are going to police these few day quota permits and the blinds that do not allow blind hopping?

Really?

The guy at the wildlife division told me they have no clue about details, how any of the regulations are going to be enforced. He said I do not know how we will enforce the proposed blind rule changes. But the commission is going to vote to approve these changes in a couple weeks?

Yes, there is a problem with the TWRA, NOT law enforcement (other than being underpaid and understaffed), but a problem for sure.

Headhunter

So your idea of "fixing" things is boycott the place that employees these hardworking good officers that rely on TWRA for their livelihood. I don't get where TWRA is supposed to just come up with so much money to do ALL the things you want them to and still be able to float. But hey you've got your mind made up cause anything outside of your "idea" of boycotting TWRA is wrong cause I've read all the posts and it's either WRONG or Disagree but yea good luck on boycotting. How are you supposed to boycott TWRA and still fish and hunt in Tennessee. I guess landowner exemption.
Well, what do they do with the money they get? My idea of "fixing" is maybe it is time for a change in the TWRA.

And I am not proposing they spend more money, it would be nice to know what they are doing with what they already have and why is the TWRA talking about spending more building and maintaining duck blinds and more law enforcement to enforce these new proposals or other wildlife suffering because wardens are going to be policing duck blinds.

waynesworld

Monk74 said:
Doesn't the twra plant food for wildlife on Corp land?
No they do not. They contract out planting, but as far as I know the TWRA itself does nothing. In my lifetime all I have ever know is that they lease out the land to farmers.

So you are saying TWRA contracts out planting but they do nothing That makes no sense part of working for the state is to know what you can do efficiently and what you can contract out. So you want to see the guys in green out picking up garbage and planting seeds? Come on Man

Headhunter

Please explain further. Curious minds are wondering.
I see on their facebook page all the time, support the TWRA. I believe most all their funding comes from licenses, so it makes it a difficult thing to do, because I am not going to break game laws and do not encourage anyone to break them. But maybe it is time for a change, what that is, I am not sure, but I am FAR from alone in thinking things are not right with the TWRA and there are many things happening that are not in the best interest of hunters and fishermen. The fisheries in our state are being destroyed by the immigrant population (there are also Americans who are just as bad), but that is a fact. There are not enough officers to police that situation. Not even close. Just go watch, it won't take long to see one violation after another.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
The fisheries in our state are being destroyed by the immigrant population (there are also Americans who are just as bad), but that is a fact.

What are you talking about? Most Latin American immigrants I see are too busy earning 3 paystubs to spend much time fishing.

Or did I also miss where George Soros is releasing hybrid raccoons to raid turkey nests?

waynesworld

Even though they are self funded they are still accountable to the public. If you have complaints try the TWRA head offices and the commissions, post on there social media and go up their chain. I know how letters to the Gov make some people know. Also their site has a way to lodge a complaint about individuals in the department.

Latest posts