Blackhorn has gone up.

Smo

why so high?
It's the best stuff since sliced bread…. Or so I hear.
I've never used it…👍
Everyone wants too magnumize their smoke pole for those long shots!

Nobody wants too spend time cleaning up after using real black powder.
Sometimes I may use as many as 10 patches cleaning my smoothbore after shooting ffg Goex.🥴🤣🤣👍

squirrel_hunter

No more than i shoot my ML. I should have a enough for a very long time. Plus i have 2 or 3 cans of triple 7. I was using it before blackhorn. And killed many deer. I shot 6 times last yr. And killed 5 deer with blackhorn. The 1 i was shooting thru brushes in a little opening. And hit a limb . I like blackhorn alot. BUT not paying high prices like that.

BSK

When my bottle and half of 209 is gone, I'll shoot 777 and just swab away.
I wonder how much of the "crud ring" etc. claims about 777 is due to powder charge? Almost everyone in my family shoots 777 except me, and no one has ever experienced a "crud ring." And 777 is the cleanest burning powder any of us have ever used. One patch after a shot and the barrel is clean as a whistle. But then no one is shooting more than 90 grns of 777.

CHRIS WILSON

I wonder how much of the "crud ring" etc. claims about 777 is due to powder charge? Almost everyone in my family shoots 777 except me, and no one has ever experienced a "crud ring." And 777 is the cleanest burning powder any of us have ever used. One patch after a shot and the barrel is clean as a whistle. But then no one is shooting more than 90 grns of 777.
You may be onto something. At one point, I use to shoot 80 gr of FFF 777 with a 410 gr Conical out of a older model CVA Optima. Never once remember dealing with crud ring formation in that rifle and load combo. I have had it rear it's head when shooting higher volume load 777 loads with lighter weight bullets though. Surely someone out there has done some experimentation comparing crud ring formation to powder load size.

Wobblyshot1

Bill Knight aka "Mad Monk"(sadly now deceased) who knew more about black powder and its substitutes than the average bear studied the "crud ring phenomena. His conclusion was that 777 burned extremely hot and very heavy charges with it exasperated the problem. His recommended cure was to back off on your charge.

Smo

My gun can shoot 20-30 shots in an outing and with the right lube, patch & ball combo I can load with my wooden ramrod without any issues without swabbing between shots.

The next load swabs the barrel as you load it…
A tight patch doing one of it's jobs, but slick enough too go down easily.

I usually use a metal range rod, but some of the shoots I participate in only allow traditional style rods that must be able too be carried in the guns thimbles..

Simple too make homemade lube…
16 ozs Murphy's Oil Soap
16 ozs Mr. Clean ( I use the green colored)
32 ozs of your favorite cheap windshield washer fluid…

49784669-C5B6-41FA-8FC7-2A6CCB2D8FB8.jpeg

Plus it's great for cleaning as well….

Just don't drink they green koolaid …🤣👍

ImThere

Raise that to 110 charge or so it will appear. And then you can see the wasted powder get burned outside the barrel. It's what all the cool kids do