Blackhorn load advice needed...

Jbird22

Just getting back into Muzzleloading after a long break due to the PW regs here in MS. Just came into a deal on some Blackhorn and looking for advice on load advice. Would greatly appreciate some load pointers/tips.

I'll be using a TC Encore (non Pro Hunter) with Federal 209A primers and Barnes T-EZ 290 gr. Also, I'll be weighing my powder charges. What weight would you guys with experience recommend to me as a starting point?

Remi

I dropped down to 65grs because my shots are so close I don't need the extra horsepower. Mine is shooting great using the Scorpion PT Gold 300gr. If I was using a Barnes I would probably start 70-75grs for more speed to ensure expansion.

Billboy

I shoot a CVA Accura with 300gr XTP. I started at 65 gr. and worked up 1 gr. at a time with weighed charges. I shot 5 shot groups starting with a clean barrel. 76-77 gr. is my sweet spot. Probably overkill, but that was when powder/primers were cheap...

Bell3wv

With my Encore I just went with 2 pellets of Triple 7 (100 gr). I shoot 1.5" groups at 100yds with TC 250gr yellow tip (don't want to walk to basement, can't remember what they're called). I never even tried another load and the pellets take out messing with the loose stuff.

Jbird22

With my Encore I just went with 2 pellets of Triple 7 (100 gr). I shoot 1.5" groups at 100yds with TC 250gr yellow tip (don't want to walk to basement, can't remember what they're called). I never even tried another load and the pellets take out messing with the loose stuff.
I have a few 777 pellets left but I'm looking forward to not having to swab between shots with BH209. The yellow tip TC's are most likely Shockwaves. I still have some of those in 200 gr.

Jbird22

I finally got time to shoot this weekend and looks like 72 grs is what my gun likes with the Barnes 290 T-EZ and Fed 209A. Now I'm just waiting for my Bellm oversized hinge pin kit to come in so I can fine tune.

PillsburyDoughboy

I just use 100 Grain of Volume in both Remington 700 ML and the CVA Wolf. Same Projectiles too. I could probably work up a pet load for each and squeeze out a little more accuracy but none is really needed at the ranges I am shooting.

Latest posts