What load

recurve60#

This was a graduation gift from my mom in the early 90's. I use to carry it during muzzleloader, but I cant remember how many grains of pyrodex I used. 1861 navy 44.
20230917_213033.jpg

Wobblyshot1

Your Colt reproduction will do fine with 20-25 grains by volume for plinking. For max charges you can probably get 35...maybe a little more... in the cylinder and still seat the ball so it can spin freely. You will likely be getting something like 800 fps +/-.

One other thing, your pistol looks to be well taken care of and with pyrodex please, please clean thoroughly after shooting it. Pyrodex residue is nasty stuff on gun metal if left to sit.....Have fun! :)

recurve60#

Your Colt reproduction will do fine with 20-25 grains by volume for plinking. For max charges you can probably get 35...maybe a little more... in the cylinder and still seat the ball so it can spin freely. You will likely be getting something like 800 fps +/-.

One other thing, your pistol looks to be well taken care of and with pyrodex please, please clean thoroughly after shooting it. Pyrodex residue is nasty stuff on gun metal if left to sit.....Have fun! :)
Thanks for the info wobbly and yes pyrodex is hard on metal. I always pulled the nipples, scrubbed with hot water and Dawn, then oiled it up after I shot it.

ROVERBOY

I used to use Pyrodex RS. I wondered how Black could be more corrosive. I finally switched to Black Goex and found out that I liked it better.

Smo

Black powder is lots easier too clean imho..

I haven't shot Pyrodex in years, I once used it in a combination with bore butter & maxi hunter bullets and it was next too impossible to clean the caked on fouling out of the bore..

Soap & water wouldn't touch it…

Carlos

I had one just like that years ago.
What caliber is yours?
I still have nearly a whole box of rounds, you're welcome to have them.

Carlos

The cylinder is made short to prevent overloading. I think I tried to stuff 30 grains in mine, wouldn't hardly fit- with the powder, wad, and ball.

mike243

My paper work with mine said 25g for target and 30 for hunting. loved shooting it but cleaning was a pia. gave it to my son.

Latest posts