Beware When Purchasing a CVA Accura V2 Nitride

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Hang Over Wake Up GIF by Arrow Video

PillsburyDoughboy

Are you talking about only with bh or with all powders?
You can shoot ALL loose powders with the standard plug safley. The key is keeping them clean with a drill bit. BH209 will give alot more blow back and will back up quicker than others . I would say anywhere from 3 to 6 shots is the sweet spot. So on on average hunt you are probably good to go. But for $32 last place I checked just buy one. Or modify the one you got with vents. Sorta the way to go IMHO. Definatly would void any warranty

backyardtndeer

Triple 7 is not the same as Blackhorn.
Yes I know that, but someone in this thread was suggesting that you could not shoot any loose powder with the breech plug that comes from the factory with these guns. That is obviously not accurate information. This thread kind of got a little off track.

BigCityBubba

I bought one a few years ago and love it. They screwed it up last year by going with the collapsible ramrod. It sucks. If you are going to complain about something, this is it. My nephew bought one. The first time he loaded it with the sabots cva recommended, the ramrod got stuck and he could not get it out because when he pulled on it, it separated. We ended up pulling the breech plug and pushing it out. Why would anyone want a ramrod that wasn't attached to the rifle forcing you to carry something else into the woods that could be forgotten and secondly if you are going to go with a collapsible ramrod why wouldn't you thread it so it won't pull apart when in use? Do the people making these design decisions at cva hunt or even shoot muzzleloaders? They re still very accurate and I love the ease in which they can be taken down and cleaned but I don't know that I would buy one of the newer ones just because of the ramrod.

Jcalder

I bought one a few years ago and love it. They screwed it up last year by going with the collapsible ramrod. It sucks. If you are going to complain about something, this is it. My nephew bought one. The first time he loaded it with the sabots cva recommended, the ramrod got stuck and he could not get it out because when he pulled on it, it separated. We ended up pulling the breech plug and pushing it out. Why would anyone want a ramrod that wasn't attached to the rifle forcing you to carry something else into the woods that could be forgotten and secondly if you are going to go with a collapsible ramrod why wouldn't you thread it so it won't pull apart when in use? Do the people making these design decisions at cva hunt or even shoot muzzleloaders? They re still very accurate and I love the ease in which they can be taken down and cleaned but I don't know that I would buy one of the newer ones just because of the ramrod.
I really like my collapsible ram rod. Not sure why your ramrod got stuck, but I'd guess it was user error and not cva.

BigCityBubba

I really like my collapsible ram rod. Not sure why your ramrod got stuck, but I'd guess it was user error and not cva.
I don't know how it could be user error. You put a sabot in the barrel and then push it down with the ramrod. Am I missing a step? It was more than likely the sabot. The tip was probably slightly deformed and the ramrod got stuck on the tip of the sabot. It has not happened since. I imagine it probably happens more often than people realize with normal ramrods but you don't realize it because it takes very little energy to pull it off. It might seem sticky at most for a normal ramrod but its enough to pull the collapsible ramrod apart. Its enough for me not to trust it to take into the woods. You definitely need to load back at the house and give yourself enough time in case it gets stuck and you have to deal with it and you may only get one shot out in the woods.

Jcalder

I don't know how it could be user error. You put a sabot in the barrel and then push it down with the ramrod. Am I missing a step? It was more than likely the sabot. The tip was probably slightly deformed and the ramrod got stuck on the tip of the sabot. It has not happened since. I imagine it probably happens more often than people realize with normal ramrods but you don't realize it because it takes very little energy to pull it off. It might seem sticky at most for a normal ramrod but it's enough to pull the collapsible ramrod apart. It's enough for me not to trust it to take into the woods. You definitely need to load back at the house and give yourself enough time in case it gets stuck and you have to deal with it and you may only get one shot out in the woods.
Did you get stuck on the bullet or get it in a bind? I've had a bullet tip get stuck on the old one piece rods but I could pull it back out.

gary66

I'll say it... thanks for the heads up. Found that type of marketing soon after taking up hunting, the next best thing often came with the need for something else in order to use it. I remember when LW came out with their climbers, came with 19" belts which most had no idea wasn't as big as they were used to using...you could buy longer belts. I don't remember stands ever making belt length apart of the marketing, it was tree diameter they could be used on. After LW did that and I saw it the first question was, what are they saying and what will it cost me? lol

I had someone looking out for me with guns, baby brother, he knew them well and was an FFL dealer. People would often want him to setup the arms for them so he had first hand experience with many. Knight ML's were his choice and so they were mine... best CS I've ever worked with.

Might as well expect everything these days to need more and what you have won't work with it. If you find someone who sells a complete product, support them and enjoy it while it lasts. Just saw a vid involving Midway and their CS, party is over with them. The guy bought something, they contacted "the warehouse", the items were shipped with one destroyed (not from shipping). He called and was told they have no control over the warehouse, he was just to send it back and wait for another which could just be another busted one "nothing they could do". I doubt the CS he was talking to was Midway, they too were probably a "warehouse" Midway had contracted with to handle CS. Midway like many was probably bought and not someone in the USA.

DoubleRidge

I haven't converted to BH209 yet but I do have the BH breech plug for when the time comes. Plan to convert in the future. I have the Accura LR V2 and absolutely love it. Accurate and easy to clean...I have the original one piece ram rod and the only thing I dont care for is how scratched up the ram rod gets from normal use? Its only cosmetic so I dont worry about it anymore but when it was new it bothered me.

BigCityBubba

Did you get stuck on the bullet or get it in a bind? I've had a bullet tip get stuck on the old one piece rods but I could pull it back out.
I believe it was stuck on the tip. I have read where others had the same thing happen. If you go to cva shooters Facebook page and search collapsible ram rod and you will find a list of complaints.

Jcalder

I believe it was stuck on the tip. I have read where others had the same thing happen. If you go to cva shooters Facebook page and search collapsible ram rod and you will find a list of complaints.
I don't Facebook, but if memory serves, they tell you to use a loading jag with tipped bullets to keep from doing that. Has nothing to do with a collapsible rod.

BigCityBubba

I don't Facebook, but if memory serves, they tell you to use a loading jag with tipped bullets to keep from doing that. Has nothing to do with a collapsible rod.
Thats why my nephew went with the recommended sabots and it did not mention anything about loading jags to load them. The tip is designed for tipped bullets. My understanding is that it was designed for that particular sabot. The ramrod has nothing to do with the sabot getting stuck in the tip. It has everything to do with why we had to remove the breech plug and knock it out.

Last edited:

mike243

I called them to get a plug for a wolf, gave cc# and had it in a few days, also got 2 charges in London, bank refunded and I sent a email to CVA about it, 0 response so will never buy another anything from them more than likely.

Latest posts