Beware When Purchasing a CVA Accura V2 Nitride

Yotekiller011

Ok, I bought a new rifle. CVA Accura V2 LR Nitride but what they dont tell you when you buy the rifle is you have to purchase a additional breech plug when using Blackhorn 209 (BH209). I think this is bull*!&%$!. They should provide the breech plug with the rifle or give instructions when you buy it with this option.

I would never shoot anything but BH209 and would have never bought the gun without the option. So now I have to spend an additional $22.00 for a breech plug in order to use BH209. RIDICULOUS!

Just be aware. When you buy one you gotta spend more money on a breech plug. When CVA opens Monday I'm gonna call and tell them what I think about the whole thing. They talk about how of the rifle is "just a better gun" its not starting off too good with me. :bash:

bloodtrailing

They don't sell the gun as a Blackhorn only rifle. I think you are making something out of nothing. If you had done any research you would know the recommendation for Blackhorn powder. It is not the gunmakers fault Blackhorn requires more fire. Be glad they make a plug for it.

Yotekiller011

No, they dont but they also dont tell you that without purchasing the right breech plug you cant use loose powder. They push white hots which I used once and would never use again. Loose powder regardless if its BH209 or something else is just much better. If they said without buying a additional plug you can only use pellets and inform the buyer. Should have just stuck with my Encore. If anyone has a nice Encore muzzleloader I'm in the market.

GMB54

Come on, this is nothing new even the LHR/TC Strike had/has 2 plugs. The OEM plug will fire other subs besides BH209 just fine. The old non QRBP from CVA was similar and it was just fine with any sub besides BH209.

There is nothing in the online manuals that says you must buy another plug for loose powder. I checked the Wolf, Optima V2 and Accura V2 manuals. You only need it for BH209.

That rifle can be found for $500 with a scope mount which TC does not include with a Encore. Your complaint is petty at best and you simply did not research your purchase well enough beforehand. This issue has been discussed at length on nearly every ML forum around. Its even listed on the Western powders website.

Yotekiller011

Regardless I got to buy a plug. I still think it should be advertised as such. Hope the gun performs well and from what I've read it does shoot good. But i'm not getting off to a good start with CVA.

Everyone has a opinion thats why we get on here right?, Trying to get others thoughts is the reason I post. I have done research but obviously not the same place as some with great wisdom on the subject who only have the intellect to name call. No reason what so ever to degrade a persons due to his opinion.

That's all I have to say about the matter.

GMB54

Where did i name call?

All the info i posted is readily available online to anyone right on their website and Westerns website. Your statement that a new plug is needed for any loose powder is simply wrong.

PillsburyDoughboy

It's a value priced Muzzle loader that is easily $100 under its Competition. $22 is not going to break u when your paying $40 for a cam of powder .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PillsburyDoughboy

Yotekiller011":3nisjtww said:
Regardless I got to buy a plug. I still think it should be advertised as such. Hope the gun performs well and from what I've read it does shoot good. But i'm not getting off to a good start with CVA.

Everyone has a opinion thats why we get on here right?, Trying to get others thoughts is the reason I post. I have done research but obviously not the same place as some with great wisdom on the subject who only have the intellect to name call. No reason what so ever to degrade a persons due to his opinion.

That's all I have to say about the matter.

That MZ will preform wonderfully for you with BH209 or any other powder you CHOOSE to shoot out of it .

ImThere

Strange, a guy I work with was shooting his with bh209 with out it. He bought the other breech plug later. He went to shoot it with the new breech plug and he said he couldn't tell the difference.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

GMB54

The BH209 plug was made to mimic the TC Omega plug which is great with BH209. The BH209 plug also has a little larger flash channel than the OEM CVA plug. You can actually make a better plug than either one by adding a slightly recessed vent liner to the OEM plug and use a 5/32 flash channel.

Getting a pack of the firing pin bushing shims is also a good idea. Tightening up the head space can help a lot.

PillsburyDoughboy

ImThere":piej3mje said:
Strange, a guy I work with was shooting his with bh209 with out it. He bought the other breech plug later. He went to shoot it with the new breech plug and he said he couldn't tell the difference.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

So much blowback with BH209 it will eventually crud up the hole . You can keep it clean out but it's hit or miss how long it will work .

451LRML

bloodtrailing":2h8hkfs3 said:
.... It is not the gunmakers fault Blackhorn requires more fire. ....

This is something I've never understood.

Yokekiller011:
It also requires a HOT primer to ignite, standard ML primers are not recommended.

Yotekiller011

No they don't. They never advertise on the sight when you order. That's my complaint. When you purchase a item if accessories are required then they should tell you. I ordered the plug. 33.00 with shipping and tax plus 3.00 that they inform you when you order the plug you gotta have a special tool to seat the plug the first time you install. Ridiculous!

GMB54

Did you complain to TC when they didn't include a scope mount for your Encore? Its obviously needed if you plan to use a scope right? Did you need them to tell you its needs a scope mount to be able to mount a scope?

And again, needing the tool one time is a well known issue. All you had to do was ask. You could have also found a better price just by asking. Instead you would rather complain over a rather trivial issue.

GMB54

PillsburyDoughboy":1o3di5te said:
It's a value priced Muzzle loader that is easily $100 under its Competition. $22 is not going to break u when your paying $40 for a cam of powder .

Actually he could have bought a Traditions (for a similar price) which are fine with BH209 if you can tolerate not having stainless steel. I don't like them at all personally but hey, you don't need to buy another $22 plug right? :D

The REALLY sad part is all this could have been avoided by 1 call to Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in Vass NC. He knows CVAs inside and out. He also has great pricing. The OP would have been setup with everything he needed right off the bat.

Jcalder

I've bought 2 CVAs in the last couple years and bought 2 plugs. The tool to seat the plug came with the plug both times. If it bothers you you that much to buy a different plug to shoot bh209 counterbore your existing plug. There's videos available. If I bought another CVA I would probably get the plug western powder sells.

Latest posts