Beware When Purchasing a CVA Accura V2 Nitride

PillsburyDoughboy

GMB54":xe7lpwqk said:
PillsburyDoughboy":xe7lpwqk said:
It's a value priced Muzzle loader that is easily $100 under its Competition. $22 is not going to break u when your paying $40 for a cam of powder .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually he could have bought a Traditions (for a similar price) which are fine with BH209 if you can tolerate not having stainless steel. I don't like them at all personally but hey, you don't need to buy another $22 plug right? :D

The REALLY sad part is all this could have been avoided by 1 call to Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in Vass NC. He knows CVAs inside and out. He also has great pricing. The OP would have been setup with everything he needed right off the bat.
Agree with you on the part of Carlos.

As to the Traditions part. I don' t think they are even in the same league as CVA. They may be fine for the guy that uses it for a the one week Muzzleloader hunt a year. But I would not depend on it for a main Axe season after season.

GMB54

I was making an effort to be kind to Traditions as in not bashing a brand. You wont find one in my inventory. I either buy older Knights or custom builds. I have as much as $80 in a custom plug for one of my Knights and spent more than that on a bunch of Lehigh plugs.

Im not really much of a CVA fan either but one of those Scout V2 45/70s just might find its way home with me someday. Im just not into alloy frame break actions and im not overly impressed with anything TC has made for years.

ImThere

I love my traditions and you couldn't give me two CVA's for it but that just me.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Last edited:

Yotekiller011

Ref: GMB54

My TC had a sight on it and it was expected if you wanna you have to buy a set of rings and a base. When I bought my TC it came with a breech plug that shot any powder. Nothing on CVA site when you go to purchase the accuracy v2 warns "if you shoot bh209 you gotta buy a different plug" I actually ordered it from muzzleloader.com and got a good deal and bought the plug from them with free shipping due to the over sight of not advertising it as such or at least letting me know the extra plug was needed. Why you feel I should or anyone should have known it is ridiculous when it not advertised as such. To equate it with a set of scope rings is stupid. I've bought literally 100's of guns and assumed a new gun has what it needs to fire. BH209 is probably the most popular powder on the market when it was American pioneer before the plant explosion it was the bet on the market and used by the U.S military. If it came in a pellet form even more would use it so for a company not to make a consumer aware that additional plug was required is just Bull! It's dirty business and just another means of raising cost. Gimmick, whatever you want to call it. SCOPE RINGS really. Moronic!

UpperTully

Sounds like you simply didn't research the gun well enough nor read any of the old threads on here pertaining to BH209 in the new CVA's. There was quite a lengthy one I created just last year when I got my Optima V2 that gave me a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

I wouldn't blame CVA for your lack of proper research.

PillsburyDoughboy

GMB54":dpk9luz4 said:
I was making an effort to be kind to Traditions as in not bashing a brand. You wont find one in my inventory. I either buy older Knights or custom builds. I have as much as $80 in a custom plug for one of my Knights and spent more than that on a bunch of Lehigh plugs.

Im not really much of a CVA fan either but one of those Scout V2 45/70s just might find its way home with me someday. Im just not into alloy frame break actions and im not overly impressed with anything TC has made for years.

I think they are extremely accurate and not very load finicky . It comes with one of the best scope mounts in the market .

For the great majority of muzzleloader hunters that solely hunt with it during the muzzleloader season it's a dandy muzzleloader and a man could do a lot worse .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMB54

BH209 is probably the most popular powder on the market when it was American pioneer before the plant explosion it was the bet on the market and used by the U.S military.

Not sure where you got this info but BH209 was never even remotely similar to American Pioneer. Its made for Western by a division of General Dynamics in Valleyfield Quebec Canada. It is not and never has been made by APP or any part of APP.

APP powder is terrible by comparison and not even remotely similar in chemical composition. BlackMag, BlackMZ, Shockeys and APP are similar chemically speaking. Some are even produced in the same plant. BlackMZ was going to be made by MDM/BlackMag before the plant blew up. Alliant turned to APP instead when the turd hit the fan.

for a company not to make a consumer aware that additional plug was required is just Bull!

THE company that made the powder DID. The plug is listed for sale right on the Western Powders website. Its very simple, you did not research your purchase well. You had the ability to ask about scopes in the forum but not enough desire to ask about BH209 and CVAs. Blame yourself, not CVA or Western.

iowavf

Yotekiller011":1nvm2xt4 said:
Ref: GMB54

My TC had a sight on it and it was expected if you wanna you have to buy a set of rings and a base. When I bought my TC it came with a breech plug that shot any powder. Nothing on CVA site when you go to purchase the accuracy v2 warns "if you shoot bh209 you gotta buy a different plug" I actually ordered it from muzzleloader.com and got a good deal and bought the plug from them with free shipping due to the over sight of not advertising it as such or at least letting me know the extra plug was needed. Why you feel I should or anyone should have known it is ridiculous when it not advertised as such. To equate it with a set of scope rings is stupid. I've bought literally 100's of guns and assumed a new gun has what it needs to fire. BH209 is probably the most popular powder on the market when it was American pioneer before the plant explosion it was the bet on the market and used by the U.S military. If it came in a pellet form even more would use it so for a company not to make a consumer aware that additional plug was required is just Bull! It's dirty business and just another means of raising cost. Gimmick, whatever you want to call it. SCOPE RINGS really. Moronic!
I know of certain handguns that don't like certain brands of ammo, but the manufacturer doesn't list those ammo brands. Sure they will fire a bullet but will have trouble feeding the magazine and you will have jams. You can still use Blackhorn with the stock CVA plug, but won't guarantee it will shoot every time, but then again I don't recall CVA or any other ML specifically made for Blackhorn.

GMB54

iowavf, while that is basically true there was one made for BH209 and included mostly BH209 load data. The Savage MLII was one of the test beds used for developing BH209. It worked so well and Cabelas/Bass Pro were so against selling a smokeless ML that Savage came out with the ML-BP. It was designed from the get go to support BH209. Both came to market at very close to the same time (2008-2009).

Noticed the load data section
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/ma ... 10mlbp.pdf

Most manufacturers dont even mention any BH209 load data. Last time i looked TC was still listing only Pyrodex and maybe Triple7 in their manuals. Pretty much all of them with except maybe Knight dont mention BH209 load data at all. Even though Remington has been working with Western to come up with data for the Ultimate, it still only lists Pyrodex and Triple7 as acceptable subs.

The OEM CVA plug under ideal conditions and good head spacing will ignite BH209. When the temps drop too low, the bullet is too loose or the primer leaks like a sieve....all bets are off. Its a poof waiting to happen and it always seems to happen when the shot matters the most. Keeping the flash channel clean with the correct size drill bit is critical with these marginal plugs too.

Ive even seen the TC Speed breach plug have fits with BH209. It takes very little fouling in that long plug to cause a hang fire or fail to fire. The newer dished style Omega plug or Impact plug on the other hand is far less finicky.

FrontierGander

They could supply both breech plugs, but then the guy shooting pellets would say, why should I spend extra for a breech plug im not going to use?

Its a specialty item and if you are going to use blackhorn209, its best to spend the money for the plug and be done.

My Traditions sidelocks come with nipples that are better suited for black powder ( real stuff ) and so I have to spend $15 for the knight redhot nipples which work great with the substitute black powders.

Ridgeline300

All brands are that way not just the one you purchased. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. You would have had this catastrophic event with any purchase imo! I have the same muzzy you just purchased and love it, even gladly bought the BH 209 breech plug at the extra cost.

backyardtndeer

No, they dont but they also dont tell you that without purchasing the right breech plug you cant use loose powder. They push white hots which I used once and would never use again. Loose powder regardless if its BH209 or something else is just much better. If they said without buying a additional plug you can only use pellets and inform the buyer. Should have just stuck with my Encore. If anyone has a nice Encore muzzleloader I'm in the market.
There must be some confusion here. I have a couple accura's and I shoot loose triple 7 in them and have for several years, and I use the plugs that came with our guns. The blackhorn plug is not required for shooting all loose powders, and nowhere in the manuals for the accura's that we own does it say such.

Adding a $22 plug to a $500+ rifle really isn't a big deal. My accura v2 is incredibly accurate, I have killed coyotes with it at nearly 200 yards and shot a couple deer with it at about the same.

And fwiw, cva had been good to deal with. The dura sight that came with my gun was not high enough for my scope, so I contacted them and they exchanged it totally on their dime, paid for the shipping both ways.

Chiflyguy

Got an Accura V2 also.
Love it.
Funny story:
Bought it right from CVA. At the time I lived in Illinois.
FFL transfer required.
Told the dude Illinois requires it sent to an FFL holder.
He said" That's a stupid law"
Sent it to me at a Walgreens UPS booth.
Got a couple strange looks on my way out.

PillsburyDoughboy

There must be some confusion here. I have a couple accura's and I shoot loose triple 7 in them and have for several years, and I use the plugs that came with our guns. The blackhorn plug is not required for shooting all loose powders, and nowhere in the manuals for the accura's that we own does it say such.

Adding a $22 plug to a $500+ rifle really isn't a big deal. My accura v2 is incredibly accurate, I have killed coyotes with it at nearly 200 yards and shot a couple deer with it at about the same.

And fwiw, cva had been good to deal with. The dura sight that came with my gun was not high enough for my scope, so I contacted them and they exchanged it totally on their dime, paid for the shipping both ways.
Yes you can and will shoot all loose poweders including BH209 out of the factory breech plug.

I've done it enough to know you can get away with it. As long as you have the right size drill bits and keep it clean it will fire season after season.

The problem is when you do continuous fire with it it builds up and at some point it's gonna hang fire.

I modified mine and use vents instead of purchasing a plug. Not a big deal.

Jcalder

Yes you can and will shoot all loose poweders including BH209 out of the factory breech plug.

I've done it enough to know you can get away with it. As long as you have the right size drill bits and keep it clean it will fire season after season.

The problem is when you do continuous fire with it it builds up and at some point it's gonna hang fire.

Think it took 6 shots before I got a hang fire with the standard plug.

backyardtndeer

Are you talking about only with bh or with all powders?

Latest posts