Best shot placement for instant kill

fairchaser

Interested in opinions. What's your experience on shot placement with a gun for an instant kill? With CWD the meat is not an issue as it's donated usually to HFTH.

A double lung shot usually results in a 80 yard dash to death. I'm interested in a quick humane kill and don't want the animal to suffer even for a few seconds.

Widowmaker

High shoulder is my choice, but I don't use it that often. You normally lose at least one shoulder. Great for anchoring deer close to property lines. If you're worried about the animal suffering, I've always assumed a deer shot in the boiler maker is running off pure adrenaline after being shot and after that's ran out, it expires. I've watched deer go from running flat out and when they hit the ground, they never even twitch after that. I don't believe they "feel" a shot in the heart/lungs anymore so than one in the shoulder/ neck.

JCDEERMAN

When I was younger, I always aimed right in the middle of the shoulder and most all of them dropped. Now that I'm older, I go for vitals for the obvious, but also to get more meat out of the front shoulders (which you said in this case it doesn't matter). Neck shots are tricky - they will take them straight down most of the time, but caliber and placement are important on those.

Omega

When I started hunting, it was always the heart I went with, and seldom missed. But in the last few years it's been the neck; I hate trimming the neck, and I lost too much meat going for the heart, so I figured it was the best option for my situation. I never shoot unless I am 100% sure I have a shot, and most times they are less than 100 yards in.

Kirk

Since there are few vital organs in the top of the shoulder, is death caused by hydrostatic shock? If this doesn't kill the deer, are they anchored for another shot?
There is a nerve bundle called the brachial plexus that runs through the high shoulder area. It is called the instant off button in some circles.

Attachments

• brachial plexus.JPG
    brachial plexus.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 216

Jaahspike

Interested in opinions. What's your experience on shot placement with a gun for an instant kill? With CWD the meat is not an issue as it's donated usually to HFTH.

A double lung shot usually results in a 80 yard dash to death. I'm interested in a quick humane kill and don't want the animal to suffer even for a few seconds.
I have never had a deer take even one step with a neck shot. They drop instantly and die within minutes. Preserves the most meat IMO as well.

Pilchard

Any shot that shocks the central nervous system will make them fall immediately. This goes for all critters.

Coming from a place where most of my hunting was for pigs and gators, all shots were aimed at the head/base of the neck.

Now, in the deer woods, I have shot all of my deer just as you learn in a hunters safety course.... broadside, double lung, top of the heart. I don't know why the change but I do know that field dressing is much cleaner with a shot that stays out of the chest.

backyardtndeer

I am usually aiming tight behind the shoulder, in the crease, for the top of the heart. But to anchor one without concerns for meat loss, the high shoulder shot drops them. That being said, last 3 I have shot with eld x handloads from my 308 did not take a single step. Fastest kills of any deer I have shot.

TX300mag

For many years it was high shoulder, but after having a couple get back up and a couple more try to and have to be finished I don't NORMALLY take it unless I have to (close to a property line for example). And I prepare for a quick follow up just in case.

NEVER take your eyes off of a deer lying with a spine shot until you have your knife in him. The stories of dead deer getting up and running off are almost always due to shock wearing off from a spine shot from my experience.

Latest posts