Bear Grylls Gerber Knife

droptyne

I don't know bout the bear gryills knife, haven't messed with it. That and I'm kinda hesitant about wal mart knives especially ones with tv hosts. Is the knife american made? If not, for those that care, gerber also makes one called the prodigy. Very similar to the bear knife but is american made and has a much better sheath....oh its about the same price a the bear knife!

fastbs

many cheaper knives are hit and miss; after going through a few cheaper ones said the heck with it and found esee.

expensive but the "buy once cry once" saying applies.
I have the little izula and a esee 4
http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

if you break it they will replace it. never had to but that's what i hear.

Hatchee

fastbs said:
many cheaper knives are hit and miss; after going through a few cheaper ones said the heck with it and found esee.

THIS^^^^^Love the esee 3. The Izula can be configured many ways if you get the scales and different kydex sheath. Good Stuff!

Hatchee

Poser said:
String Music said:
Poser said:
Gerber is crap these days. I have broken every Gerber product I have bought in the last few years. That blade is cheap Chinese steel. I wouldn't waste the money on it.

Thats pretty impressive if you can continually break a steel knife. Are you trying to cut trees down or what?

$30 is not a large investment on a quality knife. If it is, don't buy it.

Man, I sent back their telescopic pruning saw 3 times to the factory for repairs and replacement. Finally, I gave up on it and bought a different brand.

I had a pair of Gerber hand pruners -broke.

I have a heavy duty Gerber hand saw -tip of the blade broke twice.

The Gerber Bone saw went dull after one season of use and, due to the hardening process cannot be re-sharpened. $20 piece of crap.

Gerber machete: absolute piece of crap, this miserable excuse for a tool. The blade doesn't even run the length of the handle. Factory sharpness is a joke and the blade is extremely flimsy. Certified piece of crap.

Gerber skinning knife with gut hook. I used it for two seasons with no problem, but it developed a snag at some point. I had to file the blade down and reset it. After reseting the blade and putting the final touches on it with a ceramic sharpener, a chunk of the blade crumbled into dust.

Its all cheap Chinese steel and often time poor designs. Spend the money on a Benchmade or other quality blades. -they'll last much longer and retain their sharpness.
I've broken 2 or 3 of their folding saws at the hinge. Seems to have to much play. The lower jaw on the pruners are pretty weak too. Gave up on them after breaking the 2nd or 3rd pair.
That still has no bearing on the fact that I want the big Bear Grylls Survival knife as bad as Ralphie wanted the Red Ryder BB gun!!

moondawg

I'm sure it's a good knife, but I will not buy another Gerber knife. I have a folder Gerber Gator, and I cannot get it sharpened. I have tried various knife sharpeners on it with no success.

I have a Gerber EZ out that's the same way. I cannot get this thing sharpened.

Luckily, my Gerber gut/wyoming knife still works.

KubotaM4900

If anyone knows a way to sharpen a Gerber plz let us know. Ive tried every way known too. Them ez outs must just be disposable once dull.

AlexDad

I've always been a Gerber knife man, but have the same problem. I'm 39 and been shaving with a straight razor since I was 15 so I know how to put an egde on. I have LOTS of stones and strops. LOL!

Picked up a 4.25" Gerber folder last Sept. Cut my hand wide open as soon as I unpackaged it. LOL! Edge has worn a bit and I can't sharpen the thing for the life of me. Outta the box it was awesome.

Brad

moondawg

I have one Gerber EZ Out that is a newer one. It's sharp, but I use a sharpener on it about once a month or so, just to maintain the edge.

The other one I have is older and has a partially serrated edge, I bought it for $10 at an antique store several years ago. I can't get it sharpened. I think I'm gonna sell it in a yard sale.

meat hunter

fastbs said:

I have 3 ESEE knives. Better in every way than ANY baby food knife. Plus the ESEE's are 100% US made and guaranteed forever.

Latest posts