Bear Grylls Gerber Knife

String Music

I've had SOG, Benchmade, and many other knives, but this is my favorite. The rubber grip on the handle makes the knife feel secure in the hand. The blade is extremely durable and razor sharp. The serrated part can cut through just about anything. Best of all, this knife is very affordable. Also, I love how the sheath can go on your belt vertically or perpendicular.

If your looking for a high-quality, all-around great knife, you will not be disappointed with any in this line.

http://bear.gerbergear.com/knives/folding-sheath-knife/

catman529

I was thinking of buying a Bear Grylls knife but then I thought they might just be a gimmick to sell a lot because they have the name Bear Grylls with them. I guess I was wrong.... since I am badly in need of a good knife, I should pick one of these up at academy.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Wal-Mart has them as well. The folding one was around $25 and the fixed blade in the $40's

catman529

Well thanks again for posting this. I just got back with the $30 folding knife from academy. I had a gift card so it was a great thing to buy with it. Also got a sharpener with a diamond rod so I can sharpen the serrated part.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
How do you like it? I have a birthday coming up and need to start dropping hints.

String Music

Poser said:
Gerber is crap these days. I have broken every Gerber product I have bought in the last few years. That blade is cheap Chinese steel. I wouldn't waste the money on it.

Thats pretty impressive if you can continually break a steel knife. Are you trying to cut trees down or what?

$30 is not a large investment on a quality knife. If it is, don't buy it.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
My Daughter bought a Gerber several years back and that thing was like a razor when we used it to field dress a deer. I was actually surprised it was so sharp.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Came home from out of town and was given the knife for my birthday....woohooo

BlackBelt

[/quote] Man, I sent back their telescopic pruning saw 3 times to the factory for repairs and replacement. Finally, I gave up on it and bought a different brand.

I had a pair of Gerber hand pruners -broke.

I have a heavy duty Gerber hand saw -tip of the blade broke twice.

The Gerber Bone saw went dull after one season of use and, due to the hardening process cannot be re-sharpened. $20 piece of crap.

Gerber machete: absolute piece of crap, this miserable excuse for a tool. The blade doesn't even run the length of the handle. Factory sharpness is a joke and the blade is extremely flimsy. Certified piece of crap.

Gerber skinning knife with gut hook. I used it for two seasons with no problem, but it developed a snag at some point. I had to file the blade down and reset it. After reseting the blade and putting the final touches on it with a ceramic sharpener, a chunk of the blade crumbled into dust.

Its all cheap Chinese steel and often time poor designs. Spend the money on a Benchmade or other quality blades. -they'll last much longer and retain their sharpness. [/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Poser, you and I are the same type of guys. We use our tools as "man tools", and put them through the hard, tough work that we use them for. We expect our bladed tools to work hard and work well. Unfortunately, most of the lesser priced stuff is a case of "You get what you pay for."

I too have been disappointed in most of my Gerber products, but I temper that disappointment with the fact that they didn't cost that much to start with. When mine break or otherwise cease to function, I throw them away.

What I've found through experience is that there is a reason why some bladed tools are more expensive than others. That reason: Quality.

While some people will always be satisfied with inferior performance from inferior tools, those of us who use blades professionally, everyday, or as serious outdoorsmen know that there's somethings you can't skimp on. Quality blades and construction being two of them.

Yeah, I'll probably buy one of Bears knives just "because" (because it's a cheap new toy). But I'm expecting 20 dollar performance out of a $20 knife, so I shouldn't be disappointed.

But when it comes to the blades my life depends on, whether in the woods or the city, I ALWAYS go for quality steel and construction.

(As a side note, I don't buy fixed blade knives or machettes that don't have full-tang construction. I figure if the manufacturer is cheaping out a dollar or two by skimping on putting enough steel through the handle to guarantee support, then they are probably skimping on performance also. Full tang only on fixed bladed tools.)

Latest posts