Ban on inline muzzleloaders?

scn

Columbia Scott said:
I like it just the way it is. It is less about collecting revenues and more about killing deer. The insurance lobby wants deer gone, period. Mark my words, laws will become more and more lax as the years go. That's what drives our sport.

TOTALLY wrong about the insurance lobby having anything to do with anything regarding TWRA.

Wobblyshot1

Doskil said:
In conjunction with another thread on muzzleloader/blackpowder season, would you support outlawing the use of muzzleloaders that were capable of accepting a "modern" rifle, pistol or shotgun primer?
I'm a little confused. Are you saying ban modern muzzleloaders or just the means of ignition?...or are you saying make muzzle loading season tradition firearm only?

For the most part, I like Tennessee's ML season. I really don't mind hunting along side of my inline buddies while I'm using a flintlock with patched round ball. I don't feel under gunned at all.

However, with that said, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we could squeeze a primitive weapons hunt(longbows, recurves, tradition MLs) somewhere into the mix.

Doskil

I mean that during "muzzleloader" deer season, you cannot use a muzzleloader that uses centerfire rifle, or shotgun primers.

Such guns of course would be legal to use during any legal weapons seasons.

BSK

Setterman said:
Why not just open deer season on a date and close it on a date? You get a season limit and that's it, it makes it simple and easy.

This.

Why do we need all these special weapons seasons? A pistol season, a shotgun season, a primitive weapons season, a single-shot weapon season, etc. etc. For gosh sakes just let hunters choose which weapon they hunt with.

Of course, that's ignoring the elephant in the room--the fact that all this interest in special weapons seasons is each person's attempt to find some way to allow themselves to hunt but prevent others from hunting; i.e. attempts to get exclusive hunting time.

Vermin93

BSK said:
Of course, that's ignoring the elephant in the room--the fact that all this interest in special weapons seasons is each person's attempt to find some way to allow themselves to hunt but prevent others from hunting; i.e. attempts to get exclusive hunting time.

Yep, I'll admit it. Competition is a huge factor. I decided to do something about it 2 years ago. I acquired a bow and learned to shoot it. The length of my deer season basically doubled in Tennessee and increased by over 500% in Kansas. During bow season, I never run into anyone. It's great.

Now that I'm equipped with a bow, a caplock, a smokeless in-line, and a centerfire, I think the only thing that needs tweaking is the addition of a primitive muzzleloader season in December or January. I think that having a single "any weapon" season is probably the worst idea ever.

If I owned a sizable piece of my own property I probably wouldn't care much about it because it wouldn't impact me nearly as much as it does on public land or a lease.

mike243

BSK said:
Setterman said:
Why not just open deer season on a date and close it on a date? You get a season limit and that's it, it makes it simple and easy.

This.

Why do we need all these special weapons seasons? A pistol season, a shotgun season, a primitive weapons season, a single-shot weapon season, etc. etc. For gosh sakes just let hunters choose which weapon they hunt with.

A spot on summation of the wants not needs lol

Trapper John

I've said many, many times I'm all in favor of doing away with weapon segments. I have no idea if this is a realistic expectation anytime in the near future, but I'd love it.

BSK

For those trying to deflect focus on their own selfishness, OF COURSE I'm lucky to have family-owned land to hunt on. BUT THAT'S WHY WE MADE THE FINANCIAL SACRIFICE.

In my opinion, all of this weapons seasons talk comes down to: "How can I benefit myself by hurting others."

Vermin93

And that's why I made the financial sacrifice to purchase a bow and the time sacrifice to learn to shoot it. Having a 14-week deer season instead of an 8-week deer season was an investment worth making. Fortunately, many hunters will not make that investment for one reason or another, and bow season will continue to be a great opportunity for bow hunters to have somewhat of a private land hunting experience on public land. The same holds true with muzzleloader season, but to a much lesser extent.

Call it selfishness or whatever you want. The land is there, the season is open, crossbows are legal, and used bows can be had for cheap. Come one, come all....or stay home and wait until November. Your choice.

That being said, it would be interesting to see the revisions that would be made to the statewide and Unit bag limits to accommodate a single "all weapons" season. I expect there would be some fairly significant changes, especially in Units A and B and the associated counties.

BlountArrow

BSK said:
Setterman said:

This.

So why isn't the season like this now. You're in the know.
Is it because of:
-Money (lost revenue/sales of archery or muzzleloading equip assuming most hunters would pickup the high power)?
-Lack of popularity with most TN hunters?
-Do any archery/muzzle loading companies donate funds to our TWRA?

I remember when I worked in sporting goods through high school and college it would have hurt our business TREMENDOUSLY to not have all the archery/black powder equipment/ accessories to sell. That included the all the new crap, the good stuff, the latest and greatest fads, you name it.

DMD

If we gonna do that, lets outlaw scopes, camo, treestands, cappers, sabots, and on and on we can go. None of these are "primitive". If a person wants to hunt with primitive ML, they are welcome to. I would rather hunt with a weapon that gives me best chance for a clean, ethical kill.

caretaker

Ok lets go very primitive and every body has to use self made spears, with self napped stone tips, wear loin cloth and self harvested and cured furs. If we are gonna get primitive then get primitive. No bows or guns. Not even an atlatl.

lung-buster

caretaker said:
Ok lets go very primitive and every body has to use self made spears, with self napped stone tips, wear loin cloth and self harvested and cured furs. If we are gonna get primitive then get primitive. No bows or guns. Not even an atlatl.
I can't do the loin cloth, too many briar patches where I hunt.

BlountArrow

caretaker said:

No atlatl! Now that's taking it too far!

Latest posts