Ban on inline muzzleloaders?

Doskil

BMan said:
Doskil said:
Poser said:
Ban threads on banning inline Muzzleloaders :D

For clarification, Tennessee does not have, nor claims to have a "primitive" weapon season. We have Archery, Muzzleloader and Rifle. No claims, guarantees, promises or conditions of "primitive" weapons are necessarily prerequisites for any of these 3 seasons, even though archery and Muzzleloader, by their own virtues, have certain limitations.

That is true.

So why bother having special seasons anymore?

I can see some safety reasons for archery only areas and trophy deer areas (Presidents Island) but for the average joe why not let him or her choose the weapon to use on their property?
Make it Deer Season and be done with it.

Exactly.

South Carolina does this with no problems.

BMan

Hunter 257W said:
Also I don't want anybody but stick flingers out in the deer woods during hot weather! There aren't nearly as many of them therefore they don't spook deer as much as gun hunters. If we were allowed to hunt with rifles beginning the 3rd Saturday of September practically everybody would throw their bows away and head to the woods with a rifle. That'd mean I'd have 2 choices:

1) Let my neighbors have a 5 or 6 week headstart on me while I waited for decently cool weather

or

2) Grab my rifle and hit the woods sitting in a tick infested thicket while sweat runs down my face like a river with mosquitoes eating me alive.

Neither choice is particulary desirable to me. :)
Or, make Deer Season November and December each year. People could hunt using any weapon they wanted - archery, MZ, rifle - everybody is equal so everybody should be happy.

Vermin93

Hunter 257W said:
Also I don't want anybody but stick flingers out in the deer woods during hot weather! There aren't nearly as many of them therefore they don't spook deer as much as gun hunters. If we were allowed to hunt with rifles beginning the 3rd Saturday of September practically everybody would throw their bows away and head to the woods with a rifle. That'd mean I'd have 2 choices:

1) Let my neighbors have a 5 or 6 week headstart on me while I waited for decently cool weather

or

2) Grab my rifle and hit the woods sitting in a tick infested thicket while sweat runs down my face like a river with mosquitoes eating me alive.

Neither choice is particulary desirable to me. :)

Finally some logic. This idea of just having a "deer season" is ridiculous.

Nsghunter

Some people are talking primitive...
I was hoping advanced, my four sons enjoy video games, me too. I was hoping in the furture to use r/c helicopters and r/c drones to track down deer, shoot them and bring them home(while I watch my infant son and null the need to find a babysitter for my herd) and to knock roosting turkeys to their death so I don't have to subject them and the other self-respcting hunters to my drunk duck turkey callin'

I think if you can one shot with and inline, or a flintlock great. It's still difficult. You still have to get there, track them, stalk them, wait on them and most importantly hit them with a projectile out the front and if your shot sucks, too bad.

TheLBLman

No.
And before any particular primer might be "banned" from a muzzleloader, compound bows should be banned from archery hunting?
How about nothing but longbows & recurves without sights during archery season . . . . . better yet . . . . . . SEE BELOW

BSK said:
Setterman said:
Why not just open deer season on a date and close it on a date? You get a season limit and that's it, it makes it simple and easy.
Why do we need all these special weapons seasons? . . . . . . . just let hunters choose which weapon they hunt with.

Of course, that's ignoring the elephant in the room--the fact that all this interest in special weapons seasons is each person's attempt to find some way to allow themselves to hunt but prevent others from hunting; i.e. attempts to get exclusive hunting time.
I have to agree with Setterman & BSK, even though I'm OK with our current "weapons" season segments.

Meanwhile, any regulations that divide us hunters may be more harmful than good in the bigger scheme of things.

Doskil

IMHO, that is what special seasons do.

Divides hunters and pits them against each other for "their" piece of the deer hunting pie.

TheLBLman

Doskil said:

Divides hunters and pits them against each other for "their" piece of the deer hunting pie.
But wait, there's more . . . . .

Not that everything about our "special" season segments is bad, but, it can be a financial burden on families trying to participate with their children. Imagine you have a couple children you'd like to deer hunt with you. You need archery and muzzleloader equipment if you expect to be able to hunt more than about half the available weekends of the current annual "deer season".

Winchester

Wes Parrish said:
Doskil said:

But wait, there's more . . . . .

Not that everything about our "special" season segments is bad, but, it can be a financial burden on families trying to participate with their children. Imagine you have a couple children you'd like to deer hunt with you. You need archery and muzzleloader equipment if you expect to be able to hunt more than about half the available weekends of the current annual "deer season".
Welcome to my world, myself and 2 boys who love to hunt every season, Bow, MZ, Gun, and Im COMPLETELY HAPPY with the season segments just the way they are!
I don't understand and couldn't imagine piting myself against any other hunter due to the season they hunt??? That's absurd IMO. Im happy to hunt with different weapons and happy for others to hunt with any or all weapons they like as well!
I definitely don't think our season segments should be eliminated because some refuse to hunt with any particular weapon, for any particular reason?? We have different seasons and have for many years, simply learn to hunt with whats legal at the time and be HAPPY!!!!

TheLBLman

Winchester said:
Welcome to my world, myself and 2 boys who love to hunt every season, Bow, MZ, Gun, and Im COMPLETELY HAPPY with the season segments just the way they are!
. . . . . We have different seasons and have for many years, simply learn to hunt with whats legal at the time and be HAPPY!!!!
Like you, "as is" works well for me personally, too.
But there is some legitimate issue to some folks having a hard time affording (and maintaining) 3 sets of archery equipment, 3 sets of muzzleloading equipment, and 3 sets of centerfires simply so a family of 3 can fully participate in TN's deer season?

There were legitimate reasons for having different weapon season segments when they began. Are those original reasons valid today? I say they are no longer valid. At the same time, again, I personally "like" the different weapon season segments simply because it gives me an advantage over those unable to participate due to whatever reasons. Am I being selfish? Yes. And recognizing this, I believe the weapon season segments are very worthy of debate.

Wes Parrish said:
I have to agree with Setterman & BSK, even though I'm OK with our current "weapons" season segments.

Meanwhile, any regulations that divide us hunters may be more harmful than good in the bigger scheme of things.

TheLBLman

peytoncreekhunter said:
Would y'all want bow hunters to have to wear blaze orange to and from the stand if all weapons were allowed during just one season?
I usually do that anyway, at least an orange cap during archery (to and from stands).

If all bowhunters were wearing orange while deer hunting, I seriously doubt there would be any significant difference in their success.

BMan

peytoncreekhunter said:
Would y'all want bow hunters to have to wear blaze orange to and from the stand if all weapons were allowed during just one season?
Why not? Orange has no effect on deer.

Hunter 257W

peytoncreekhunter said:

I would think the bowhunters would want to wear orange if they were out in the woods with rifle hunters. I know I would. Getting shot with a deer rifle is probably the last mistake a person is going to get to make. :(

deerhunter10

Wes Parrish said:
peytoncreekhunter said:
I usually do that anyway, at least an orange cap during archery (to and from stands).

If all bowhunters were wearing orange while deer hunting, I seriously doubt there would be any significant difference in their success.

I would go out on the limb and say there would be zero difference in their success.

TheLBLman

deerhunter10 said:
I would go out on the limb and say there would be zero difference in their success.
In terms of just having an orange vest & cap, I would agree.
But I've observed many hunters do not seem as aware of the scent issues of wearing the same orange vest & cap, day after day, week after week. I think some bowhunters would be like many gun hunters, and it would be the scent issue that might adversely effect them.

Latest posts