Ban on inline muzzleloaders?

deerhunter10

heck no.. im not in favor for an all weapon season year round. ill admit im selfish that way ill admit it. but i wont hurt my feelings that much either. imo the absolute best time to kill a big deer besides in the rut is the very first week of season when there is absolutely no pressure on them. but i would never ever ever ever like to see a ban on inline ml.

7mm08

lung-buster said:
caretaker said:
Ok lets go very primitive and every body has to use self made spears, with self napped stone tips, wear loin cloth and self harvested and cured furs. If we are gonna get primitive then get primitive. No bows or guns. Not even an atlatl.
I can't do the loin cloth, too many briar patches where I hunt.

I could kill a whole herd of deer from them laughing at me in a loin cloth!!! Let's do it!

Doskil

Why can't people who these guns simply use them during the 'any legal weapon' season?

You could still use them

BMan

Doskil said:
Why can't people who these guns simply use them during the 'any legal weapon' season?

You could still use them
Same goes for compound bows.

After all, let's keep the "primitive" weapons seasons truly "primitive", agreed?

Doskil

A compound bow is more primitive than a flintlock muzzleloading rifle so I don't buy your argument

If you want my real opinion muzzleloader season" should be done away with and incorporated into "gun season".

Your mileage may vary

BMan

Really? Can you find me one example of a compound bow from before the 17th century?

I'll help you with the timelines:
-- Flintlocks muskets - i.e. muzzleloaders - have been around since the 1600's;
-- Flintlock rifles - still muzzleloaders - have been around since the mid 18th century;
-- The inline muzzleloader was patented in 1808;
-- The compound bow was developed in 1966 and patented in 1969 (that's the late 20th century, if you prefer to look at it that way).

From a mechanical aspect, one could argue that the ability of a bow to be fired multiple times in the same space of time that a muzzleloader could be fired only once, doesn't help your primitive argument at all.

Mileage may vary; facts do not.

caretaker

As far as being selfish Hell Ya. Show me any hunter that owns or leases land that allows or approves of just anybody hunting on his property. This can also be applied to the season and choice of weapon used.

Like I stated if we wanna go primitive then go back to sticks and stones.

I myself would like it to be regulated to inline muzzleloaders only. No bows or breach loaders. on the fence about allowing smokeless muzzle loaders

trealtree

BMan said:
Really? Can you find me one example of a compound bow from before the 17th century?

I'll help you with the timelines:
-- Flintlocks muskets - i.e. muzzleloaders - have been around since the 1600's;
-- Flintlock rifles - still muzzleloaders - have been around since the mid 18th century;
-- The inline muzzleloader was patented in 1808;
-- The compound bow was developed in 1966 and patented in 1969 (that's the late 20th century, if you prefer to look at it that way).

From a mechanical aspect, one could argue that the ability of a bow to be fired multiple times in the same space of time that a muzzleloader could be fired only once, doesn't help your primitive argument at all.

Mileage may vary; facts do not.

Don't forget Air Guns that were used by Lewis and Clark

Hunter 257W

I absolutely think in-lines should be outlawed - except for my use of course. :) Would help my chanes of killing a mature buck tremendously if everybody else had to hunt with flintlocks and crude open sights.

Doskil

Poser said:
Ban threads on banning inline Muzzleloaders :D

For clarification, Tennessee does not have, nor claims to have a "primitive" weapon season. We have Archery, Muzzleloader and Rifle. No claims, guarantees, promises or conditions of "primitive" weapons are necessarily prerequisites for any of these 3 seasons, even though archery and Muzzleloader, by their own virtues, have certain limitations.

That is true.

So why bother having special seasons anymore?

I can see some safety reasons for archery only areas and trophy deer areas (Presidents Island) but for the average joe why not let him or her choose the weapon to use on their property?

BMan

Doskil said:
Poser said:

For clarification, Tennessee does not have, nor claims to have a "primitive" weapon season. We have Archery, Muzzleloader and Rifle. No claims, guarantees, promises or conditions of "primitive" weapons are necessarily prerequisites for any of these 3 seasons, even though archery and Muzzleloader, by their own virtues, have certain limitations.

That is true.

I can see some safety reasons for archery only areas and trophy deer areas (Presidents Island) but for the average joe why not let him or her choose the weapon to use on their property?
Make it Deer Season and be done with it.

Hunter 257W

BMan said:
Doskil said:
Poser said:

That is true.

Make it Deer Season and be done with it.

If we did that somebody would have to come up with a good way to estimate how many more deer would be killed since most people would hunt the entire season with rifles. To compensate for that the daily limit on does would have to drop. Also, with that much pressure from rifle hunting, deer would be so spooked by the time the rut came that you'd hardly ever see one in daylight.

Hunter 257W

Also I don't want anybody but stick flingers out in the deer woods during hot weather! There aren't nearly as many of them therefore they don't spook deer as much as gun hunters. If we were allowed to hunt with rifles beginning the 3rd Saturday of September practically everybody would throw their bows away and head to the woods with a rifle. That'd mean I'd have 2 choices:

1) Let my neighbors have a 5 or 6 week headstart on me while I waited for decently cool weather

or

2) Grab my rifle and hit the woods sitting in a tick infested thicket while sweat runs down my face like a river with mosquitoes eating me alive.

Neither choice is particulary desirable to me. :)

Latest posts