Bama or Ohio State?

Scioto

nitro_z17":3umwfztz said:
Make up your mind. One post you say your team shouldn't go. Then it's announced and you're mad at all us broke hillbillies

Never said they shouldn't go. I gave what I thought or expected would be the top 4. I also put forth the argument as to why Ohio State's resume' was better than Alabama's. I'm interested in hearing why the Committee considered Alabama "unequivocally better" than Ohio State, which is the Committee's basis for not applying the other criteria to choose between "comparable" teams, especially when last week they said there was little to separate teams 5-8. Also would be interesting to understand how three loss Auburn is "unequivocally better" than two loss conf champion USC. And it's not "broke hillbillies" (your term). It's broke eSECpn.

gobblegrunt

Scioto":1cczwlhc said:
nitro_z17":1cczwlhc said:
Make up your mind. One post you say your team shouldn't go. Then it's announced and you're mad at all us broke hillbillies

Never said they shouldn't go. I gave what I thought or expected would be the top 4. I also put forth the argument as to why Ohio State's resume' was better than Alabama's. I'm interested in hearing why the Committee considered Alabama "unequivocally better" than Ohio State, which is the Committee's basis for not applying the other criteria to choose between "comparable" teams, especially when last week they said there was little to separate teams 5-8. Also would be interesting to understand how three loss Auburn is "unequivocally better" than two loss conf champion USC. And it's not "broke hillbillies" (your term). It's broke eSECpn.

Scioto explain to me the difference of last year and this year. We had big ten champ Penn State left out for Ohio State last year. So based on what you've said Ohio State didn't deserve to go last year. Is that what I'm hearing? Bottom line is if Ohio State doesn't get drilled by Iowa they are in and Alabama is out. And by the way, Notre Dame and Ohio State are the media's (ESPN) little darlings.

Scioto

You know what. The great irony in the final rankings is had Alabama beaten Auburn, they most likely beat UGA and Ohio State is in.

Low Tide!

Scioto

gobblegrunt":1booh66q said:
Scioto":1booh66q said:
nitro_z17":1booh66q said:

Scioto explain to me the difference of last year and this year. We had big ten champ Penn State left out for Ohio State last year. So based on what you've said Ohio State didn't deserve to go last year. Is that what I'm hearing? Bottom line is if Ohio State doesn't get drilled by Iowa they are in and Alabama is out. And by the way, Notre Dame and Ohio State are the media's (ESPN) little darlings.

Gobble, I agree with all that you say except the last sentence. It's a fact. The SEC Network is an ESPN entity. Paul Finebaum is employed by ESPN for goodness sake.

Penn State should have gone last year, but what Ohio State had in 2016, that Alabama doesn't have this year, was a road win over OU and wins against 3 top 10 teams. I don't think a week two win should have meant much, as the Ohio State team in week two was much different than the team in the late season. Ultimately, the loss to Iowa in November was too much for Ohio State to overcome. But I can't help but wonder, my how nice it would have been to play an SEC or ACC schedule and be able to follow up a hard fought, emotional, come-from-behind win with a home game in November against a FCS opponent, as opposed to going on the road to play a conf foe. Yes, Ohio State only has itself to blame for $/#!ing the bed, but that doesn't happen when you play Mercer.

farmin68

Scioto":2or7lhqq said:
I'm not surprised. Didn't watch the rest. What tortured logic did Holcutt use to justify Bama moving up when it didn't play a game? What softball questions did Homer Reece throw to him?

I've said before. Today marks the beginning of the end of the CFP. Nation's attention now turns back to the NFL. It will be a southern playoffs that the larger population and deeper pockets won't care about. Too bad for eSECpn.

Maybe they remembered the day Iowa boat-raced OSU. Yeah.. There's that. :rotf:

PillsburyDoughboy

Just me taking notes on all that said "ALABAMA WAS OUT"
Guess now we will finally get a shot at beating a #1 team , it was pretty tough to do all season long LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scioto

farmin68":5h3krntb said:
Scioto":5h3krntb said:
I'm not surprised. Didn't watch the rest. What tortured logic did Holcutt use to justify Bama moving up when it didn't play a game? What softball questions did Homer Reece throw to him?

I've said before. Today marks the beginning of the end of the CFP. Nation's attention now turns back to the NFL. It will be a southern playoffs that the larger population and deeper pockets won't care about. Too bad for eSECpn.

Maybe they remembered the day Iowa boat-raced OSU. Yeah.. There's that. :rotf:

Scioto

Wiley":1ldjlli1 said:
Scioto":1ldjlli1 said:
It will be a southern playoffs that the larger population and deeper pockets won't care about. Too bad for eSECpn.

There are no deeper pockets than in the SEC. You really should look into that a little deeper.

Advertising dollars/eyeballs. It's how eSECpn and any media company makes most of its money as opposed to subscriptions.

nitro_z17

Scioto":1qatdeji said:
I think the bad Iowa loss keeps Ohio State out this year like the Oklahoma win got them in last year. IMO neither are/were right decisions. Bama doesn't have better quality of wins but can't lose to Iowa by 31!

you really should have stopped here, its just a game

Scioto

nitro_z17":gcp5lno2 said:
Scioto":gcp5lno2 said:
I think the bad Iowa loss keeps Ohio State out this year like the Oklahoma win got them in last year. IMO neither are/were right decisions. Bama doesn't have better quality of wins but can't lose to Iowa by 31!

you really should have stopped here, its just a game

I'd say I was covering my bases. Some disappointment at the snub, but also acceptance of the reality.

My issues are with the flawed system/Committee and it's inconsistency that always seems to operate in Alabama's favor or at least never, heaven forbid, against them. So it is written, so it be done.

In 2014, TCU and Baylor are told "sorry guys, but we really need that 13th data point and Baylor you had no quality wins. You have to schedule better teams."

In 2015, Ohio State is told "sorry guys, like we said last year we need a 13th data point and you don't have quality wins even though our eye test says you are one of the four best teams" (15 NFL draft picks).

In 2016, Ohio State is told "no need for that 13th data point. You scheduled well and have a bunch of quality wins. You're in."

In 2017, we are told, "forget 2015 and scheduling tough opponents and quality wins. Forget a 13th data point. You are Alabama and pass our eyeball test." Also, last week we are told "there is very little separation between teams ranked 5-8." Alabama doesn't play. Ohio State does and wins. And then today Alabama is "unequivocally better."

Call me a stickler for consistency.

farmin68

Scioto":3uoivupb said:
Wiley":3uoivupb said:
Scioto":3uoivupb said:
It will be a southern playoffs that the larger population and deeper pockets won't care about. Too bad for eSECpn.

There are no deeper pockets than in the SEC. You really should look into that a little deeper.

Advertising dollars/eyeballs. It's how eSECpn and any media company makes most of its money as opposed to subscriptions.

If revenue is a problem, maybe ABC/ESPN should encourage schools in the Midwest and west of the Rockies to learn how to hang with the big boys.

ImThere

PillsburyDoughboy":d8f8h915 said:
Guess now we will finally get a shot at beating a #1 team , it was pretty tough to do all season long LOL

Well technically they said when they played Auburn that beat there selves!

PillsburyDoughboy

ImThere":1gthaqmz said:
PillsburyDoughboy":1gthaqmz said:

Well technically they said when they played Auburn that beat there selves!

Pretty much the way I saw it as well .

Scioto

Farmin68, in answer to your comment. It is eSECpn that is suffering the well documented revenue problem and is burning cash. I think the major research universities of the Midwest and west of the Rockies are doing just fine.

gator-n-buck

Here's the brass tacks of this debate. Bama has a real chance to win it and OSU doesn't.

I believe they got it right and picked the 4 best teams. I actually think Bama wins this thing.

farmin68

Scioto":2t1tlcek said:
Farmin68, in answer to your comment. It is eSECpn that is suffering the well documented revenue problem and is burning cash. I think the major research universities of the Midwest and west of the Rockies are doing just fine.

I took it that you're saying that having more programs outside the southeast and southwest in the playoffs would raise ad revenue for the networks.

Latest posts