Anyone on here own suppressors?

varminthunter123

Check out the guy on TV Red Jacket.

I purchased one of his suppressors for my HK91, built out of Titanium. Little pricey, but light weight and is cleanable and I can also move it to my M4 with his quick attach bracket.

The .308 sounds about like my 17 HMR going off and the M4 doesn't even sound like a rifle being fired....kinda like a paintball gun going off.

Good Luck!!!!

BowGuy84

Interesting stuff guys, y'all got some pics?

Additionally, what is the purpose of a supressor? If it only marginally quiets your gun why own one for a firearm? not doubting just whating t to hear all the rational reasons.

Grizzly Johnson

BowGuy84 said:
Interesting stuff guys, y'all got some pics?

Additionally, what is the purpose of a supressor? If it only marginally quiets your gun why own one for a firearm? not doubting just whating t to hear all the rational reasons.

Because you and your buddies next to you can shoot high powered rifles all day without hearing protection.... Plus, which would you think draws more attention, a high powered rifle or a .22lr.... which is about what a 30 cal rifle can sound like with a well built suppressor.

No pics yet, I haven't gotten to that part yet. :grin:

megalomaniac

BowGuy84 said:
what is the purpose of a supressor? If it only marginally quiets your gun why own one for a firearm? not doubting just whating t to hear all the rational reasons.

There are 2 types of loads people shoot through suppressors. Regular full power loads, and 'subsonic' loads (less than 1050 fps or so)

The suppressor will take a full power cartridge down to the sound level of a .22 or so. The sound comes from the bullet accelerating throug the sound barrier at around 1100 fps and creates a sonic 'crack'. The biggest advantage is that most will say it also disguises the location of the shot. In other words, other deer can't figure out where the shot came from after you kill the first, often stand around looking, and you can fill your until L quota for the day.

But what's really cool is shooting subsonic rounds. With them, there is no sonic crack, and the gun going off sounds like opening a 2 liter coke bottle, only a little higher pitched. I doubt you could hear the rifle report from more than 100 yards away. It's not like in the movies where there is no sound, but the noise reduction is profound. Real handy for removing critters (armadillos, racoons, possums, etc) from your backyard in the middle of the night without disturbing the neighbors. But due to most rifle bullet construction, one would expect very little bullet expansion at subsonic impacts, so big game hunting is somewhat limited (headshots to 75 yards; body shots out to around 150 yards- but expect a fairly long tracking job).

Another advantage of the suppressor is that it acts like a brake on the end of the rifle, reducing recoil by around 60%.

Disadvantages... cost- they are way overpriced for what goes into them. And resell is terrible, since the new buyer will have to pay the tax stamp again (two tax stamps if sold out of state). They are fairly heavy as well, and all the weight is at the end of the barrel, often making the rifle unbalanced (unless you go with titanium, but that almost doubles the cost of the can). Also, they'll add a fairly significant amount of extra length to the barrel, making it less handy/ mobile in carry situations.

W C

Remington 700 SPS Tactical with Ops Inc 3rd Model 30cal

100_0511.jpg

100_0516.jpg

Ruger 96/22 and Browning Buckmark. Suppressor is a crappy Tactical Innovations Quest. I was my first .22 suppressor and got the learning curve out of the way. Now these 2 sport SWR Spectre's
100_0185.jpg

beancounter

Tennessee LLC fees are a min of 300 a year. In Tennessee the local LEO can not refuse to sign if you qualify not sure why you would want to go any other way. I have two A4s that I swap one yankee hill phantom between the two. Getting ready to do a 9mm SBR build on a A4 platform and will more than likley supress it. If you use heavy subsonic ammo all you will hear is the action. With any super sonic ammo you will always have the crack. Have played with some sub sonic 223 loads with trail boss you can get rid of the crack but the action wont cycle.

Latest posts