Anyone on here own suppressors?

7-08 fan

Just wondering what calibers yall are running them on I'm looking into a .308 can now. I want one bad! I'm probably gonna cave in and do all the paperwork as bad as I hate too, not that I'm totally anti-government but I think the less they know the better we all are. I hate the fact that we have to register any sort of firearm or related item and I hate paying the crooks $200 just to do so.

W C

I have an Ops Inc 3rd Model in .308 that I'd highly recommend. It's a tad heavy but built like a tank and completely hearing safe even with standard loads. Have some .22s also for cheap, fun shooting. Got a suppressed MAC10 .45ACP for sale also.

megalomaniac

Wait is currently around 5 months from pending to approval. Add another month for them to cash your check and for the stamp to arrive at the dealer, so you're looking at 6 months from starting the process to getting the can in hand.

rdl65

megalomaniac said:
Wait is currently around 5 months from pending to approval. Add another month for them to cash your check and for the stamp to arrive at the dealer, so you're looking at 6 months from starting the process to getting the can in hand.

Wait time on cashing the 200.00 dollar check was never a problem for me. They usually do that within the first week after sending it in. I have owned class III weapons and suppressors since 1989 and have never heard once from the ATF.

ratsnakeboogy

rdl65 said:
megalomaniac said:

[color:#FF0000]Wait time on cashing the 200.00 dollar check was never a problem for me. They usually do that within the first week after sending it in. I have owned class III weapons and suppressors since 1989 and have never heard once from the ATF.
[/color]

If you around something made of wood, Take 5 minutes and practice knocking. ;)

rdl65

It's the truth, but you hear all kinds of horror stories. The only time I have had my paperwork checked has been when I used to go to a public range on Cherokee WMA. A park ranger lived right up the road less than a mile and he would come out everytime he heard full auto fire.

W C

Mine are all on a Trust. I've had a Form 1 SBR pending since 7-7-11. I called today and the nice lady that answered said 3 more months.......pending to approval IS running 5 months according to her.

Grizzly Johnson

I would also look into having a lawyer draw up a trust for your class 3 items..... that way should something happen to you, your kids, wife, or brother.... can take possession without having to pay another $200 per item to have them transferred into their name(s).

Plus, if you go by way of a trust, you can bypass the CLEO sign-off, finger prints, and photo id pics.

megalomaniac

you specify in your will who the class 3 item will go to and it goes on a form 5 and will not incur tax (if to a family member).

Heck, an LLC may be even better than a trust depending on which state you live in. As an entity, you could sell the entire LLC (including contents) to another individual.

Grizzly Johnson

megalomaniac said:
you specify in your will who the class 3 item will go to and it goes on a form 5 and will not incur tax (if to a family member).

By using a trust, your wife, children, brother, or whoever you add can legally use your class 3 items without you being present... ie, your wife/son borrows your suppressed deer rifle to hunt in stand A while you are off hunting in stand B.

Hammer

I have one for a .22, will not have another. The "process" is long and if you have an issue you will get no help. You are at their mercy. Mine took 10 months.

They are an expensive toy that you can not recoupe your money from, if you later decide you do not like the one you bought or just want something diffrent you can't just sell it without hassle. Even if you could even find a buyer.

I would recommend that you physically try before you buy, if at all possible. That way you will know what you are getting, before you jump all the hoops, spend all you money only to later realize that what you bought is really not that quite.

They are called suppressors not silencers of a reason.

megalomaniac

Grizzly Johnson said:
megalomaniac said:

By using a trust, your wife, children, brother, or whoever you add can legally use your class 3 items without you being present... ie, your wife/son borrows your suppressed deer rifle to hunt in stand A while you are off hunting in stand B.

Same way with an LLC... one guy is the 'president', and anyone else you would like to have access to the class 3 item is a 'member' of the LLC

Don't get me wrong, I DO think a trust or LLC is far superior than individual ownership of class 3 items. But I just wanted to point out with my previous post that an individual CAN transfer the item at their death to a 'lawful heir' with no additional transfer tax incurred with a simple will (via form 5).

W C

Hammer said:
I would recommend that you physically try before you buy, if at all possible. That way you will know what you are getting, before you jump all the hoops, spend all you money only to later realize that what you bought is really not that quite.

They are called suppressors not silencers of a reason.

Very good advice BUT you do get what you pay for in suppressors AND if you expect to get a muzzle attachment device that gives the sound in the movies (known to suppressor owners as "Hollywood Quiet" ) then you are going to be very, very disappointed. Hollywood IS make-believe. I researched my first Class 3 purchase for over 3 years and have been VERY well satisfied. As stated, you should be prepared to keep whatever suppressor you buy forever. Our personal expectations vary as individuals and YMMV........

Grizzly Johnson

megalomaniac said:
Grizzly Johnson said:
megalomaniac said:

Same way with an LLC... one guy is the 'president', and anyone else you would like to have access to the class 3 item is a 'member' of the LLC

Don't get me wrong, I DO think a trust or LLC is far superior than individual ownership of class 3 items. But I just wanted to point out with my previous post that an individual CAN transfer the item at their death to a 'lawful heir' with no additional transfer tax incurred with a simple will (via form 5).

Do you not have to pay yearly fees & taxes for being an LLC? I thought I read that somewhere.... But as long as you get the outcome the buyer is looking for in the end, that's all that matters.

megalomaniac

Yearly fees depend on the state, that's why I said in the previous post that it may be better than a trust depending on where you live.

In MS, it costs $50 to form an LLC, no annual costs after that. (Although you do have to file it annually on your taxes- no addl charge unless you've got a mean accountant). If your LLC generates a profit (an actual business), taxes must be paid just like any other income. Since it's so cheap to form an LLC, I don't think most folks would put thier class 3 items in with other business LLC's.

As long as your state has cheap LLC fees, I think it is superior to a trust, especially if you ever want to sell the items.

Latest posts