Anyone “Smell” a Doe When Walking to Stand?

UTGrad

Has anyone this time of season been walking to a spot and it smells like someone dumped a bottle of Tinks on the ground? There are does behind the house and caught a whiff of what smelled like Ole stinky. Also last week I caught a strong estrous scent walking to the tree I was hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

I've smelled deer tarsals every year around the rut. Smelled it a few times already this year. I can't tell the difference between a buck and doe because they both stink about the same. But that smell gets me fired up knowing it's getting good in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MUP

I've smelled deer before seeing them as well. I've really smelled rutting bucks before when several came thru by my stand within an hour or so. That's a good feeling knowing all that scent is wafting around where you're hunting. :)

double browtine

I have lots of times. One night I was field dressing a buck I had shot. I heard grunting and had another buck walking towards me. It got within about 30 yards of me but never came out of the thicket. I tried to get a good look at it with my head lamp, but it wasn't strong enough. I'm guessing it was probably a youngster, because I can't see a mature buck hanging around with all of my scent.

TNWhit3tail

Definitely. Shot my biggest TN deer last year on opening weekend of rifle. Had actually got down from tree and was walking down a hollow in the creek. Got a whiff so I just decided to stop and stand there. 5 minutes later he comes walking along creek right to me. Shot him at bow range.

Juvenile hunt this year my nephew shot a little buck and we didnt have a blood trail. So just started criss crossing the point towards the bottom and we got within 30 yards I smelt him (it was night at that point so couldn't see real far)! Bullet didn't pass through. Add scent tracking to my resume! lol

fairchaser

Yes, many times. I've used my nose to track a wounded deer before as well. A buck especially will put off a lot of scent during the rut and you can occasionally use that scent to hone in on a bedded buck. Usually when you smell one it's within 30 yards.

TheLBLman

I suspect when you "Smell" it, it is usually a buck rather than a doe.

fairchaser":258hav1j said:
Yes, many times.
I've used my nose to track a wounded deer before as well.

Also, I've many times found a gut-shot deer by my own nose rather than my eyes when bucks were not in the rut.

bigtex

I have on many occasions, [not sure if it was a buck or a doe].
Several years ago the wife shot a buck at last light. I got out of my stand to help her find it. We finally found a small blood trail but it was rough going. I told her to stay on the blood while I circled around to a logging road to see if I could pick up the trail. Soon as I got there she called out "I can smell him". I backtracked and sure enough he was laying dead not 20 yards from where she was standing.

Nsghunter

During my last hunt, the wind was blowing pretty strong in a consistent direction. Once, in the afternoon, when the wind shifted I believe I could smell a deer. Not a rutted up buck or an estrous doe but that soft "brown" deer hide, hanging in the kitchen while butchering smell... It was an amazing thing.

larry ipock

Opening day of MZL 2016, going to my stand, still too dark to see, could smell a deer very strong. Checked camera later that morning. It was one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. Never saw him in real life or on cam again.

Latest posts