Anybody have good luck with Power Belts?

Wildcat

I used the new Platinum Powerbelts for the first time this year. I shot the 338 gr bullet using 120 gr of lose 777. I shot a doe at 140 yards, she droped in her tracks and had a clean pass though, the exit hole was about half the size of my closed fist.

mike243

most of the belly aching i have read was about them blowing up,havent heard about the rubber ones :) ,i still fall back on a bad shots a bad shot & a diffrent bullet more than likely would not have helped,pass thru hits with bullets are over rated,lots of trama from bullet fragments kill deer quicker than a hole all the way thru,im glad there a a lot of choices out there as every body will find something that works for them, :) ,mike243

rem270

hell if you have a .45 cal mz ill gladly give you a box and a half of powerbelt platinums 223 gr. they suck bad and would never recommend any powerbelts. lost 3 deer last year :mad:

mike243

i shoot a 50 & you might want to get a bigger rifle :) ,bad luck runs in 3 so i hope your bad lucks done,hope you have a great season this year,mike243

iowavf

rem270, did you not find any blood, just curious how you lost 3 deer. Did the platinums shoot good at the range or where they all over the place? I know from personel exsperiance that the 223's will kill deer so I'm just curious as to what happened. The deer I lost using them was my fault, I hit him too far forward in the shoulder, had a good blood trail but he got into some land that we didn't have permission to hunt. I saw him a couple times and he was dragging his front leg, probably broke the shoulder, but missed the vitals.

RKenney

I guess I got luck this past season. I used the Power Belt .245
grain areo tip bullet. The 12 point 160" buck hit the ground
before the recoil subsided.

He stopped out of the thicket at about 25 yards. I was on the
ground in a big dead fall. He stood at a quartering angle and
seemed rather alert facing me. I decided to shoot him in the base
of the neck and hope it angled back into his chest cavity.

He looked stone dead for about 1 minute. I didn't even start
reloading, but all of the sudden, he was raising his head and
kicking one leg. Reload emergency went into effect. He never
moved from where he hit the ground, but I had to shoot him twice
before he would die.

I think I won't push my luck this season, and go to the heavier
grain bullet.

b-model mack

My 50 cal. optima pro would not pattern the 295 or lower Powerbelt aero tip bullets so I moved up in bullet weights. Its had excellent patterns with the 348 and 405 hollow point Powerbelts. I hunted one year with the 348's and never had to trail a deer. Everything I shot was a bang-flop. Couldn't find 348's the next year and went to the 405's. So far with the 405's everything has been bang-FLOP. I hunt in an area where nothing is over 150 yards and most shots are under 100 yards. Sighted in at 3 inches high at 100 yards is dead-on at 150 using 110 grains of loose Shockley Gold. So far in my experience, I'm having better results with Powerbelts than with any other bullet I've used.

mike243

utgrad you will find that most heavy for calibur bullets will kill deer better as a rule,center fires are the same,the heavier bullets will deliver more energy to a animal at certain distances, then a lighter bullet might surpass it,if i was rich i would have 1 rifle of every calibur as all shine for 1 reason or another,some guns wont shoot a heavy or lite bullet as well as a person would like,sectionel density can play a role that might surprise some folks,its nice to have so many choices these days but can be $$ to try every 1 :) ,mike243

hunter82

i shoot them with great success , dont know about the bloodtrails as ever one that i have shot has fell dead in their tracks.

iowavf

They're the only ones I shoot and I have my own reasons as to why. Tried others, but didn't care for them. I'd say try some and if you like them use them, if you don't go with another brand.

Stalker

muddyboots said:
I had good luck with them if you drill a hole in the center and then you can use them for fishing weights. They are great for that.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

holstonangler

Platinum 348's have killed 4 four me the past couple years. They all fell within sight. I couldn't get sabots bullets to shoot good at all in my knight.

nock

Shot one deer so far with the powerbelts, it was quarter towards me and dropped in its tracks. Shot it in the base of the neck.

rem270

iowavf said:
rem270, did you not find any blood, just curious how you lost 3 deer. Did the platinums shoot good at the range or where they all over the place? I know from personel exsperiance that the 223's will kill deer so I'm just curious as to what happened. The deer I lost using them was my fault, I hit him too far forward in the shoulder, had a good blood trail but he got into some land that we didn't have permission to hunt. I saw him a couple times and he was dragging his front leg, probably broke the shoulder, but missed the vitals.

first deer was an 8pt and found decent blood for about 100 yds.
2nd deer tracked her for about 1/2 mile she was spewing blood everywhere but never found her.
3rd deer fell in its tracks just like the 8pt did and got up and barreled off in the woods. found blood where she layed and a little where she ran in the woods but no deer.

no worries buying a 50 cal hopefully next week and will go back to the hornady's!! tried them in the 45 but pretty much had to stand up on the ramrod to get them in there

Latest posts