Anybody have good luck with Power Belts?

cecil30-30

I quit useing them,they group well out of my gun.I shot at a doe 2 years ago and she mule kicked like I hit her,but I never found any blood.So I figured I missed.But then i started reading up on them and found that they don't leave good blood trails.I never did find the deer,so I may have missed.Anyway,seems that people have better luck with them,if they don't use a high power charge.Its best to use a charge of 100 or less.

fullstream

cecil30-30 said:
I quit useing them,they group well out of my gun.I shot at a doe 2 years ago and she mule kicked like I hit her,but I never found any blood.So I figured I missed.But then i started reading up on them and found that they don't leave good blood trails.I never did find the deer,so I may have missed.Anyway,seems that people have better luck with them,if they don't use a high power charge.Its best to use a charge of 100 or less.

Cecil's right about load, I found 2 50gn pellets was extremely accurate out of my cva. Both deer I shot with powerbelts were bang flop so I didn't have to worry bout a blood trail. I would recommend trying the hornady fpb's have read some good stuff with them. I bought some and and was impressed with accuracy @ 100 but couldn't talk myself outta huntin w/ my savage ;)

cecil30-30

I started useing the FPB's this year and shot a doe opening morning and she ran 40 yds and piled up.Great blood trail!Ray Charles could have followed it,and they group real well out of my gun with 2 50gr pellets.

mike243

i use them & havent lost a deer,most have been bang flops but had 1 that jumped about the time i pulled the trigger & she ran about 70y gut shot & ray could have found it too :) ,for some reason some folks think a bullet should pass thru a deer,thats not how bullets work,if you cant wait on a heart lung shot you will want a harder bullet,i dont know if the platuims are harder as advertized or not but my rifle hits where i aim & i will keep using them till i cant get them any more,mike243

mike243

well make no mistake them heavy bullets will put it to the deer,i just dont see the need to trade velocity for lbs & have to deal with the rainbow,if close shots are all a person has they work great but if your going to shoot any distance you need to practice,any ammo is so high now makes it hard to play around ,mike243

iowavf

I was using the areotips but switched to the platinums 2 years ago. I have a 45 encore and shoot the lighter loads for distance. Shooting the 223's now with 3 777 pellets, drops about 1 1/2" maybe at 200 yards, dead on at 100. Some are pass throughs some aren't, but seem to have decent blood trails if needed. Had a pass through at 230 yards last year and heard the bullet hit the brush behind the deer. I use them due to the ease of loading a second shot without cleanning the barrel. Going to see how the 300 grain bullets shoot this summer and may give them a try.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I have a friend that hunts with the 295 grain powerbelts. He always shoots deer in the neck and they fall over dead as a hammer. He believes in the powerbelts. :)

stik

BOWdacious and twig both shoot the powerbelts with good results.

nancysfirstdeer003.jpg

muzzleloader08016.jpg

muzzleloader08014.jpg

this is what's left of the 8 pt's heart

SALECREEKHUNTER

I used them in my cva kodiak. 245gr with 100gr pyrodex pellets. I only shot 1 deer with this combo. If the deer would have went out of my sight i never would have found it. I had no blood trail at all. Thats when i switched to hornady fpb in fear of accidentally putting a bad shot on a deer and not being able to find it.

mike243

my bolt hunter warned of shooting bullets over 300g with a magnum charge,my optima pro had no such warnings,the most i have ever shot out of any of mine was 130g of pyro pellets,that & a 295 pb never had a deer walk away,i will take accuracy & decent range over pass thru's any day,mike243

fishboy1

and the answer is.... IT depends on if your gun shoots them well.

If they don't fit properly in your barrel, you will get a poor gas seal and inconsistant result.

I killed 2 deer with the powerbelts and never got a blood trail so I switched to Hornady xtp mags. Cheap and hammers the deer so I stuck with them.

paboom

UTGrad said:
I know there is alot of negative reviews on Power Belts, but wanted to know if anybody has had any good results with them.

Yep, I shoot the 223g w/120g of 777 for coyotes. Makes a wonderful grenade! :grin:

A

Anonymous

i stopped using power belts after i hit a spike at 75 yrds and found the bullet on the ground where it hit his shoulder. also i was using 777 pellets.
also the belts was leaving residue in the barrel. the fpb are solid copper and work like a "traditional" minne ball. much easier to clean too.
i have switched to hornady fpb 350 grn using 120 grns 777 loose powder.
shooting in a cva kodiak magnum. groups at 75 yrd average 2".
about the same performance in my tc black diamond. my son took a doe at 85 yards, drop shot as well.
knocked down a 4 pointer in his tracks at 60+ yards.
i hope this helps
MUCK

Latest posts