Food Plots Any downside to lime, fertilizer, planting 9 days, vs 24/48 hours, before rain

tug

My schedule is very tight early next week. There is no possible way I can work in the field next Monday. (30th wedding anniversary)

I have time this week. My plots are dirt plots right now. My time math says it will take a little over a day (moving equipment/changing implements/walking a seeder, etc) to complete lime, fertilizer, seeding, covering.

I could work like a demon on Tuesday with rain forecast Wed afternoon. If my equipment breaks, or if I break, the job does not get done. Or I could take a more reasonable pace and do it this week with 100% chance of completion.

School me on the trade offs.

megalomaniac

Downside to planting 9 days before a rain... much more seed loss due to birds before the rain causes germination. Need to increase seeding rate.

BUT, what if you don't get rain in 9 days... then you potentially wasted all that seed and prob around 10-15% of the potency of the fertilizer. That's the biggest downside.

hitek7

Trusting a weather forecast that far is out is not good planning. I would not bank on that forecast.

tug

Trusting a weather forecast that far is out is not good planning. I would not bank on that forecast.
I agree with discounting a forecast. We saw that 2 weeks ago. Which is why I, and others, are this position.

A forecast 75% chance got whittled down to 0% in a ten day span. But I don't ignore forecasts either.

If I loose 10% of my fertilizer, I can make that up later. My rye and oats will be covered 1 to 1.5 inches, mitigates bird loss. Clover barely covered if at all, don't know how much clover gets eaten. I can increase seed rate a little.

Oct is the driest month. The next rain is forecast in late Oct. If that does not come, then I won't get planted till November, which is getting very late.

I am thinking now on planting Sat, Sun. If I get lucky, then I can get a start and hope for another shower in couple of weeks. If I don't get lucky, then I will just reseed before the next rain, whenever that comes. I may change the plant selection, and I am out $300 and time for seeding only.

I would make a horrible professional farmer.

BSK

I am thinking now on planting Sat, Sun. If I get lucky, then I can get a start and hope for another shower in couple of weeks. If I don't get lucky, then I will just reseed before the next rain, whenever that comes. I may change the plant selection, and I am out $300 and time for seeding only.
As others have said, I don't count on lang-range forecasts, but I don't discount them either. Often they show an upcoming "trend" in patterns. From what I'm seeing out of the American Model (GFS), which goes out 16 days, I'm starting to see a trend towards a move back to weekly rains in our area after this predicted Thursday rain. Let's hope that becomes reality.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I finished planting 9/21 just ahead of our last rain on 9/22. Reviewed plots today and found everything where it was 7 days after planting. I'm just glad I had a high cereal rye content, that may be all that makes anything at this point if any of it makes. I'm thru with planting in 2022 it's been a disaster

tug

I listened to podcasts today when I spread lime from an ATV.

At the end of the process, I was smarter on the subject matter and I had my lime down. And I discovered that my spreader is about to fall apart.

Fert and seed on Sat or Sun.

BSK

Models are back to little or no rain Thursday. The Fall has just been the worst.

My prediction: no rain until the first 5 days of MZ season. Then it pours. Forcing us to hunt from our condo stands overlooking mud fields with nothing growing in them. That's the kind of 2022 I'm having.

tug

Done.

Attachments

• Woodshed dirt.jpg
    Woodshed dirt.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 32
  • eastfield dirt.jpg
    eastfield dirt.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 30

redblood

Im torn as well. I have about 3 of 10 plots that are salvage able if rains do in fact come. The others are basically dirt. Overseeding with cereal rye my best option this late? I have both wheat and rye and a 500 pound seeder hooked uo to little tractor ready to go. Looks like sunday is our best bet in middle tn now.

tug

Im torn as well. I have about 3 of 10 plots that are salvage able if rains do in fact come. The others are basically dirt. Overseeding with cereal rye my best option this late? I have both wheat and rye and a 500 pound seeder hooked uo to little tractor ready to go. Looks like sunday is our best bet in middle tn now.
I am showing an 80% chance on Wed night. May not be much volume, but it might be enough to wet the soil down to half an inch. Then Sunday comes.

wildlifefarmer

the weather folks are all over the board!! one has taken the rain out, another has 30% and another is predicting 50%. i'd overseed today if they were close together but i will wait on a rain or spread the first of next week. i think the weather guys just have too many toys to look at. come on rain!!!!!!

Latest posts